3d engine design question

Started by
5 comments, last by pai 21 years, 10 months ago
hi there. i''m relatively new to game engine programming and i want to start to code an own 3d game engine. now i''m looking for an article covering 3d game engine design. the problem is, all articles i found on gamedev.net are about a specific problem. how to code this or how to code that. but i don''t wanna know how to code (i know that =) what i''d like to read is something like a step by step introduction to an engine like that: - start to code the visualization of a wireframe model of your world - then do flat shading - you have that, then start implementing shading algorithms - after that care about lights and shadow - code gravitation for your character ... and so on... can anyone tell me an article that covers what i''m looking for? it''d be very nice cause i''d like to see the steps (or milestones) people like john carmack work on one after another. thx. pai.
Advertisement
hehhe i would like to know that too.. i was afraid to ask thisquestion though i dunno why... :D
Metal Typhoon
I''ve always set my own milestones based upon what I eventually want to do...

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
I don''t know if you can find it in Germany, but "OpenGL Game Programming" by Dave Astle has a really good section about game engine design in the back, then of course there is David Eberly "Game Engine Design"

Now go drink a hefewiesen for me because American beer is horrible!
quote:Original post by nonnus29
Now go drink a hefewiesen for me because American beer is horrible!

yap. just drank one. but it's written hefeweizen. =)
nevertheless, thx for your book recommodations. i'll check these out and find out if they help me with my problem.

[edited by - pai on May 31, 2002 8:03:30 PM]
quote:
I don''t know if you can find it in Germany, but "OpenGL Game Programming" by Dave Astle has a really good section about game engine design in the back, then of course there is David Eberly "Game Engine Design"

OpenGL Game Programming doesnt have that much coverage on engine design. In my opinion you learn what to include in an engine just by experimenting, gaining knowledge about what you are doing, looking at what other people have done, etc... Also, the book Game Engine Design I don''t remember as having much information on engine design catering to the "newbie". It focuses very heavily upon the maths of creating engines.
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
quote:Original post by nonnus29
I don''t know if you can find it in Germany...

In fact we usually buy the English versions as the tanslations are, mildly put, horrible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement