• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mittens

OpenGL The Future of OpenGL

This topic is 5880 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Its about time that I actually posted a new thread in my forum... I haven''t done so in a long time! So basically, I want to know what you guys think about the future of OpenGL. How do you think OpenGL 2.0 will fare with its release, what would you like to see added/changed, etc? JUST TALK! Trent(ShiningKnight) THE Engine trent@voxelsoft.com

Advertisement
from what I''ve read of the specs (which is a brief run over the inital short doc a while back) it does look to be VERY promising, and some of the features I''m acculaty looking forward to.

It should also sort out the Nvidia/ATI/Maxtrox problems which are going to start appearing more and more, perticualy with regards to vertex and pixel shaders (the high level shader lang is a very nice feature, I know ya dont NEED to use ''em, but its nice to have ''em there for effects which would benifit from them).

The object system for things such as textures etc is also a great step forward from the current system, I cant remember if you have a way to force things into video RAM using it, but if not it should be, if so then yey!

Future wise, well, D3 proves that current OGL isnt dead, and as long as the API can keep up with the hardware without going back to the current maddness of extensions (yes extensions are good but atm it does feel like over kill and its bit of a mess) the future looks good.

Also, the other projects linked to OGL2.0 (like the one for video replay via OGL, or something like that) all give a nice future possiblity, and I look forward to the OGL2.0 becoming released and the first cards to full support it all.

imho, the future has never looked better for OGL, and hopefully with the relase of OGL2.0 we''ll start to see more games released with OGL support, which as a side effect, might well help x-platform dev.

There ya go, a starter for ya to all pick apart
[excuse the typos, I''m tired but this subject does excite me a lot so I had to write something, better review the specs again later :D ]

OpenGL 2.0 should put OpenGL back where it should be, leading the hardware instead of following it like the graphics API''s of today do. I can''t wait.

I think the proposed features look very good, and will not only bring the API up to date, but bring it into the furture as well. I am, however, concerned that version 2 may fall victim to some of the same problems as version 1. First, I hope that the ARB does not let the standard fall into extension hell again, particularly having similiar, but slightly different extensions for different vendors. Second, I hope that it does not take as long to update the standard in the future, so we aren''t stuck on version 2.0 for 5 years after it comes out. Third, I would really like to see a ultility library included with OpenGL, to do things like SIMD accelerated matrix,vector and quaternion math, load common texture formats, and load a basic model format. Lack of these basic functions which are included in direct X represents a barrier to those just getting started with OpenGL. Fourth, I really want to see someone, game companies, engineers, defense contractors, or whoever, force microsoft to include OpenGL 2.0 support in windows. Otherwise, I fear that we will be stuck on version 1.1 in windows forever.

OpenGL 2.0 Looks great! I was looking over the papers on it today and I just happened to notice that the NV_Occlusion Extention was not on the list that was in the overview but the HP_OCCLUSION was and it is uncertain What they will do with it. I think that the something like the NV_Occlusion extention should be included. but it was not on the list at all.

quote:
Original post by invective
Third, I would really like to see a ultility library included with OpenGL, to do things like SIMD accelerated matrix,vector and quaternion math, load common texture formats, and load a basic model format.

OpenGL, being purely a graphics library, should probably not include those features directly. However, a utility library (like you said) could. However, again, I think that functionality can be found elsewhere.

Textures: OpenIL (now DevIL, but I like its old name better) loads textures (images) with an OpenGL-like interface.

SIMD acceleration: There is some library for ''fast math'' that''s open source. I can''t remember the name, but it was made by some important group (heh). It probably used AT&T style assembly, so good luck getting it to build outside of GCC.

Models: I was (kind-of am) working on a model loading and conversion library/kit called OMA, but it kind of stalled after the other members died (well...). I did a lot of work on it a while back, but I either don''t have the time or I am not in the mood to work on it most of the time now. If anyone would like to pick-up where I left off, feel free to, it''s under the BSD license so it''s pretty open.

quote:
Original post by Null and Void
OpenGL, being purely a graphics library, should probably not include those features directly. However, a utility library (like you said) could. However, again, I think that functionality can be found elsewhere.

I know you can find this kind of functionality else where (you can even just link in the D3DX lib on windows), but the thing is that these functions are so common and fundamental to just about any OpenGL app that I really think they should be included with the API. You can''t do anthing remotely complicated without some kind of vector or matrix class, and everyone has to at least load a texture. It makes it much easier to use if you have this kind of support out of the box, particularly if it is guaranteed to be cross platform. It also standardizes code, avoids duplication, and would make examples clearer to those who are learning. The inclusion of so many useful helper functions is really the one aspect of Direct X, that I like much better than OpenGL.

Guest Anonymous Poster
OpenGL 2.0 is great and I like especially the high level shading language. The extensionens are great and should be still supported in OpenGL 2.0, because they add new hardware features through a driver update. The only problem today with OpenGL 1.3 is that there are different extensions for different cards like var/vao and register combiner/fragment shader. I''m really looking forward to OpenGL 2.0 that should solve this issue.

I think one can use d3dlib from within Opengl and glu within d3d. I''m not sure how Opengl2 will work on the windows platform with MS and all that. Other than that Opengl 2 looks really good so far. I like the idea of including audio api with gl2.

For the last time, kids, OpenGL is a graphics library and will never be anything but that. The same is true of Direct3D. Both APIs have auxiliary libraries which provide common functionality--contrary to common belief, Direct3D is only a graphics API. And if you want an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink solution, use SDL or, mix and match things like DevIL and OpenAL.

With all that said, I''m sure that OpenGL 2.0 will also have an updated set of auxiliary libraries to complement it, just as has been true since the beginning.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!