The Future of OpenGL

Started by
26 comments, last by mittens 21 years, 10 months ago
hmmm... let''s get a bit back on topic here. There''s one developement currently going on that I couln''t find in OpenGL 2.0. Hardware Deformation Mapping. It''s being developed my Matrox on their new card. DirectX 9.0 is going to support it. I''ve also heard Doom3 uses a technique quite like it. Anyone knows if it''s goint to be in OGL 2.0?

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Advertisement
Sorry if this is off-topic, but I''d really like to see some sort of "official" setup package for OpenGL. With DirectX, you just redistribute the latest dx setup exe, and that''s it (well in theory, anyway). GLSetup is a great idea, but the project seems pretty dead.

"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim." - Edsger W. Dijkstra
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray
Sander, if you''re refering to what I think you are, I''m fairly sure you can pull that off with vertex programs. If so, then OpenGL 2.0 will support it much more easily, but using the same basic method as OpenGL 1.x does now.

the opengl itself isnt changed in windows.. you still connect to the Opengl32.dll and let that one connect (via the ICD) to the vendor specific driver..

The DX installations you talk about are just to change the DX itslef not the Vendor driver, and glSetup is just the opposit, it just loads the correct Vendor driver to your system..

When opengl2.0 is comming im pretty sure that an installation package will come.
I don''t think there needs to be an OpenGL 2.0 install program as such, and GLSetup is really because the vendors don''t pull their weight.

The reason GLSetup is kind of dead is everyone now buys NVidia or ATI don''t they? NVidia''s & ATI''s OpenGL drivers are both easy to install, and so it is done.

Hell, its even easy on Linux now that XF4 is standard.

3dfx seemed to be the big issue with this in the past, but...

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL
Community Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
~~~Cheers!Brett PorterPortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGLCommunity Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
Hey N & V. It seems the project has gone far But, see this is what I wanted out of it when I first proposed the idea. I wanted something more like OpenIL or DevIL. Where you load multiple formats into a common data structure. You went the other way where you convert multiple formats in your own, then load them laod them in a data structure... Any how who am I to say anything
quote:Original post by ANSI2000
But, see this is what I wanted out of it when I first proposed the idea. I wanted something more like OpenIL or DevIL. Where you load multiple formats into a common data structure. You went the other way where you convert multiple formats in your own, then load them laod them in a data structure...

If you look at the omaLoadPath and omaLoadBuffer functions, the first parameter is a ''model type'' which will later have options to load models of different formats.

quote:
Sander, if you''re refering to what I think you are, I''m fairly sure you can pull that off with vertex programs.

I was referring to a technique where you give the card a low poly model + a heightmap and the card pushes out a tesslated high-poly model. That''s HDM (Hardware Deformation Mapping). Is that what you thought I meant?

It might be possible with vetrex shaders (not sure) but when DirectX 9.0 supports the full hardware version of HDM, I think we''ll see more cards than just matrox with HDM support. And you could even run a vetrex and/or pixelshader alongside it. It sounds pretty promising but I haven''t seen anything like HDM support in OGL 2.0

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement