Fonts

Started by
8 comments, last by Strife 21 years, 10 months ago
Okay, fonts are suck under unix systems. Is anyone aware of any X/font tutorials? I''ve tried looking, and everything I''ve found doesn''t seem to work... Maybe my system is just fscked up? Anyway, my basic problem is that I do a mkfontdir, found a fonts.alias file, did all that xset +fp crap, and Fluxbox *still* can''t find an artwiz font when I change to a different style. Is there something else that I have to do besides just starting up X with the xset stuff to get apps to be able to use the fonts? rm -rf /bin/laden
Advertisement
Why DO fonts suck under Unix? Is it a problem with X? Why can''t X deal with fonts effectively? What''s it''s problem?

I just don''t get why Unix/Linux has problems in certain areas. Oh well. If it were up to me, KDE would be using it''s own window manager, not built on top of X.
I like the DARK layout!
Actually, I finally got them to work, by following stuff on xfree86.org. It was actually pretty easy, but I just wish there was some tool to install them all automatically... Looks like I''ve got some research to do so I can write that tool

rm -rf /bin/laden
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
Why DO fonts suck under Unix? Is it a problem with X? Why can''t X deal with fonts effectively? What''s it''s problem?

The problem he has was finding out how to install them. X has its own bitmapped font format, but can also use TTF (true type) fonts without extensions beginning with 4.0.x, so there''s no problem getting the fonts.
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
I just don''t get why Unix/Linux has problems in certain areas. Oh well. If it were up to me, KDE would be using it''s own window manager, not built on top of X.

KDE _does_ use its own Window Manager, but it _doesn''t_ use its own graphics output library (what X is). If KDE didn''t use X, few people would use KDE. X is a _good_ thing, not only because of its standardization. It''s the most advanced graphics layer in common use, but it suffers some latency issues because of it. This is nothing it can''t grow out of with time. Recently, these issues are getting minimized by extensions like Xv and DRI, so there''s nothing to worry about.

Yeah, but starting with KDE 3 (in case you haven''t seen it), KDE has it''s own font installing/handling feature, which works EXTREMELY well. You just select the fonts you want it to use, and, voila, they are available for all KDE apps to use. The antialiasing looks wonderful too

But since I use Fluxbox at the moment, that doesn''t really help me unless I''m runnin Konqueror or something (which I usually only do if I''m in KDE).

rm -rf /bin/laden
use ttmkfdir
Okay, where did that come from?

rm -rf /bin/laden
While we''re on the subject, is anyone aware of any good sites that have a number of fonts for UNIX systems? TrueType fonts aren''t suck, it''s just that I''d like to find some specifically made for unix too.

rm -rf /bin/laden
put the truetype fonts you want in a certian dir, then run ttmkfdir and route the output to the file fonts.dir ( in the same directory ).

then you add the path to this dir at XF86Config, and you can use ttf''s with linux

i''ll look for the ttmfkdir link and post it
here you go

ok, here is the link : http://freshmeat.net/redir/ttmkfdir/10789/url_tgz/ttmkfdir.tar.gz

now, pu all the fonts you want here : /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype/

then run : ttmkfdir -o fonts.dir

then add the line : FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype/" in /etc/X11/XF86Config under the section "files"

... or wasn''t that your problem ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement