• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Sheep Games

Silly Screen Resolution Question

This topic is 5838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

when you set your screen resolution using DirectX 8, does it matter what size the window you created with createwindowex is? I tried passing 0 as the hieght and width parameter of createwindowex, and set the resoltuion to 800x600 using direct x, and it set the resolution fine. I''m just wondering if there is some unforeseable problem doing this...

Advertisement
I always maximize the window underneath. Otherwise my mouse clicks are passed on to whatever is underneath. I''ll click the mouse button to shoot or something and it''ll cause everything to minimize. There''s probably a way to stop this from happening, but the only one I know is by making the window cover the entire screen.

| particlefield.com |

You can acquire your mouse in foreground exclusive mode, and then it won''t be active in windows or any other application, only in your own apllication (except when it''s not in the foreground, like when it''s minimized).

ist standard practice to create a fullscreen window since sometimes its possible for other always on top windows to "leak" onto the screen and you will see them update their screen. a good example is many of the winamp plugins will minimize winamp because you can see it update its own window even when the plugin is running in fullscreen exclusive mode.

using dinput is an ugly hack to fix the mouse clicks are being registered to other apps problem. you should never have to resort to dinput for somethign like this. sometimes dinput is not even a desirable choice for input, and wm_messgaes are better (ie for a level editor). i know you can use dinput for all things, but sometimes its not worth the trouble.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!