Procedural fire (modelling and rendering)

Started by
26 comments, last by kill 21 years, 9 months ago

mmm.. forgot url tags.. trying again.. (don''t know if it works)

http://wind.prohosting.com/jonazdk/fakefire.avi

anywayz.. it''s only 4000-6000 polys and could be done in realtime.
Advertisement
quote:
although that candle flame looks too symmetrical )

Yeah, it's an old effect anyway

But I don't think it's the fact that it is too symmetric (in reality small flames are symmetric, if no wind disturbs them), it's because it is too 'massive'. Which is normal, since it's a 3D object. Perhaps by adding some kind of vertical motion blur, it could get better.

[Edit] Added some motion blur (see image). Hmm. still looks symmetric though. It looks different when the flame moves, a static shot is really a bit weird.

[edited by - Yann L on June 9, 2002 11:33:47 AM]
Undisturbed candle flames are symmetrical.

The only issue I have with that particular effect is that in an actual candle the bottom part of the flame has a faint blue color, and is so faint that it''s in fact invisible at the very bottom. The effect, as it is now, looks like a waterdrop to me

Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
quote:
The only issue I have with that particular effect is that in an actual candle the bottom part of the flame has a faint blue color, and is so faint that it''s in fact invisible at the very bottom

Depends on the chemical composition of your candle wax

Well, in the end, it''s about fine tuning colour and opacity values. And it''s partially because of the black background, in an actual 3D scene you see it much less. In fact, I had to amplify the colour contrasts, otherwise the flame got too transparent.
Still, you need a little bit of turbulence...
Here's an update.

I can't really make it any better then this. For a development company a good idea might be to dedicate an artist to tweaking particle systems, but since I'm my own artist I can't really afford that

If someone can give me suggestions on what to change to make it all better, it'd be great. Right now the fire responds to wind generated with perlin noise so I get nice flickering, but it still lacks something.

[edited by - kill on July 3, 2002 12:20:30 AM]
Maybe you need do decrease the size of the particles? It all looks a bit like a big blob of particles now. Decreasing the size may give it a less ''blobby'' and more irregular shaped look. It doesn''t matter if some particles start to fly off on their own. That happens in real fire too.

Go ahead and throw a campfire for your friends. Have a few drinks, talk, laugh, sing and watch the fire burn all night long. This might give you some better insight on flame shapes and movements. Not to mention your friends will thank you for it

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

I tried to make fire, a dismal attempt because of lack of research. I used ye-old pixel averaging method and applied it to vertex shading in a cone.

This was the result,

Not very realistic at all.
The animation was clunky.
I could have increased the number of verticies, but the would slow things down.

My initial idea was to use it as an alpha blended skin to make it appear the object was on fire. That did not work out too well. I then decided it would be best to hide the dismal fire in the sticks of a camp fire to avoid alpha blending.

Guy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement