DirectDraw Bitmap loading

Started by
5 comments, last by Terrr 21 years, 10 months ago
Hi all, I''m busy with some DirectDraw coding. I understand the theory, but I just can''t load a bitmap properly without having BltFst crashing on me. Would anybody be so kind to post a simple function that can load a bitmap into a surface?
Advertisement
Here you go. Read the whole thread.

Great, thanks
No problem By the way, BltFst doesn''t work with some things (like a directX clipper). Try blitting with regular Blt when you run into blitting problems before trying anything else. It could save you a lot of trouble.

I guess I found the problem

I threw in some error checking, and it seems that the backbuffer doesn't want to be created

I know my DirectX works perfectly.

Here is my init code
	// Create the DirectDraw object. This is used for everything DD does	if (FAILED(DirectDrawCreateEx(NULL, (LPVOID*)&lpDD, IID_IDirectDraw7, NULL)))	{		MessageBox(hwnd, ERROR_DIRECTDRAWOBJECT, ERROR_TITLE, MB_OK);		return(false);	}	/*	* The cooperative level determines how much control we have over the screen	* This must at leasst be either DDSCL_EXLUSIVE or DDSCL_NORMAL	*	* DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE allows us to change video modes, and requires the DDSCL_FULLSCREEN flag, 	* which will cause the window to switch to Fullscreen. This is the preferred DD mode because 	* it allows us to have control of the whole screen without regard for GDI.	*	* DDSCL_NORMAL is used to allow the DD app to run windowed.	*/	if (FAILED(lpDD->SetCooperativeLevel(hwnd, 										DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE |		// Exclusive mode										DDSCL_FULLSCREEN |		// Go Fullscreen										DDSCL_ALLOWREBOOT)))	// Allow Ctrl-alt-del	{		MessageBox(hwnd, ERROR_SETCOOPERATIVELEVEL, ERROR_TITLE, MB_OK);		return (false);	}		// Set the display mode (resolution)	if (FAILED(lpDD->SetDisplayMode(TERR_RESOLUTION_WIDTH,			// Width of screen									TERR_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT,			// Height of screen									TERR_RESOLUTION_COLORDEPTH,		// Color depth									0,								// ?									0)))							// ?	{		MessageBox(hwnd, ERROR_SETDISPLAYMODE, ERROR_TITLE, MB_OK);		return(false);	}	// Create the primary surface with 1 back buffer. Make it the height and width of the screen.		// First, zero the memory used by the ddsd structure.	// If you don't do this, it may have some random data that might mess up CreateSurface().	ZeroMemory(&ddsd, sizeof(ddsd));	ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(ddsd);		// Second. DDSD_CAPS makes CreateSurface() check the ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps value. 	// DDSD_BACKBUFFERCOUNT makes it check the ddsd.dwBackBufferCount value.	ddsd.dwFlags =	DDSD_CAPS |				// Capabilites					DDSD_BACKBUFFERCOUNT;	// Number of Back Buffers		// Primary surface	ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps =	DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE |	// This is the primary surface							DDSCAPS_FLIP |				// Flippable							DDSCAPS_COMPLEX;			// Has a Back Buffer	// One Back Buffer	ddsd.dwBackBufferCount = 1;	// Create it using the description in ddsd.	if (FAILED(lpDD->CreateSurface(&ddsd, &lpDDSPrimary, NULL)))	{		MessageBox(hwnd, ERROR_CREATESURFACE, ERROR_TITLE, MB_OK);		return(false);	}	// Create the Back Buffer        ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_BACKBUFFER;	if (FAILED(lpDDSPrimary->GetAttachedSurface(&ddsd.ddsCaps, &lpDDSBack)))	{		MessageBox(hwnd, ERROR_CREATEBACKBUFFER, ERROR_TITLE, MB_OK);		return(false);	}		return(true);	// Everything went A-Ok, return true}   

[edited by - Terrr on June 2, 2002 6:46:21 PM]

[edited by - Terrr on June 2, 2002 6:48:41 PM]
Can anybody help, please?
Oh I''m sorry man. I had 2 gigs this weekend so I''ve been busy. Try declaring surface capabilities data type just for the back buffer creation like so:

DDSCAPS2 ddscaps;  

Then instead of this:

// Create the Back Bufferddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_BACKBUFFER;if (FAILED(lpDDSPrimary->GetAttachedSurface(&ddsd.ddsCaps, &lpDDSBack))){   MessageBox(hwnd, ERROR_CREATEBACKBUFFER, ERROR_TITLE, MB_OK);   return(false);}  
Do this:

memset(&ddscaps, 0, sizeof(ddscaps));ddscaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_BACKBUFFER;if (FAILED(lpDDSPrimary->GetAttachedSurface(&ddsCaps, &lpDDSBack))){   MessageBox(hwnd, ERROR_CREATEBACKBUFFER, ERROR_TITLE, MB_OK);   return(false);}  

And that should do it. Sorry I didn''t post sooner. Hope that does the trick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement