I cant even start it

Started by
4 comments, last by MasterJediR2D2 21 years, 10 months ago
I have just downloaded DirectX, I have installed it. But I do not see it on my Desktop or in my toolbar. Can you help me? I am using windows98
Advertisement
Lol,GameBuilder doesn''t exist, they were just being sarcastic. Go see in the sdk (mssdk\doc\DirectX8) if you want to know how DX works. It''s just a set of library that will allow you to have better performance for your games, it''s not a program.
François DagenaisDagenais.f@videotron.ca
All inappropriate message deleted. Do not flame on somebody that may not understand it.

MasterJediR2D2: there are two versions of DX you can download (in case anybody didn''t pick up on this) - the run-time and SDK. The run-time is for users to play game made for that version of DirectX. Once installed, it''s always there, so you don''t need to locate or run any specifical portion of it.

The SDK is a development kit used for programmers to create DirectX-enabled game. Once installed, it sits within the directory you specify. You need a compiler (like Visual C/C++) to use it. Many great books are out there on how to program with the DX SDK, and if you are interested, I would suggest starting with the books and resource section on this site.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX
quote:Original post by Jim Adams
All inappropriate message deleted. Do not flame on somebody that may not understand it.

MasterJediR2D2: there are two versions of DX you can download (in case anybody didn''t pick up on this) - the run-time and SDK. The run-time is for users to play game made for that version of DirectX. Once installed, it''s always there, so you don''t need to locate or run any specifical portion of it.

The SDK is a development kit used for programmers to create DirectX-enabled game. Once installed, it sits within the directory you specify. You need a compiler (like Visual C/C++) to use it. Many great books are out there on how to program with the DX SDK, and if you are interested, I would suggest starting with the books and resource section on this site.

Thanks.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX

Here are some books I liked:

Programming Role Playing Games.
It is a very good book, not only for roleplaying game programming. You will find a lot of infromation for all parts of a game.

The Zen of Direct X game programming.
It''s ok but not as good as the first one listed.

Good Luck
quote:Original post by Cruath
Here are some books I liked:

Programming Role Playing Games.
It is a very good book, not only for roleplaying game programming. You will find a lot of infromation for all parts of a game.

The Zen of Direct X game programming.
It''s ok but not as good as the first one listed.

Good Luck

Hey Thanks!!! thats what im plannig on doing too,RPGs.Cool.
It may take me awhile to get the books and stuff though, cause im only 14.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement