• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] We need a FAQ!

This topic is 5615 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve come to the conclusion that we should setup a FAQ. At least I''ve explained the usage of MemoryImageSource several times now. Also I''ve seen people recommend the "Black Art of Java Games Programming" and other books. So first two questions could be: 1) I want to make Java games. What books should I get? 2) How do the Java demo programmers handle their graphics? Any other suggestions (question+answer please).

Advertisement
How do I make my code faster?
A: link to optimization faq

How could I create a tile engine?
A: link to tile engine faq or example

Where can I find tutorials
A: Some links to good tutorials.

Where can I find other java game resources?
A: Link to JGDC

What should I use for drawing area in application?
A: Canvas or Scrollpane, I can add more if needed

I want to make java games. What tools should I get?
A:???? Newest JDK and lots of time??

Which is the best IDE?? (Very typical for new programmers)
A: There is no "best" IDE

How do I make exe files?
A:??? With your IDE or building JRE packet?

I''ll post more when they pop in my mind

Time comes, time goes and I only am.

Q: I heard that java is too slow for making games, is this true?

A: Yes and no. There is too much overhead in the language, being inerpereted from java bytecode, to make stunning, 3D immersed, fast action games that we''ve all become imune to. But it is perfectly suitable for making solid, quality games that would stretch the abilities of any amateur game developer to make. If you are a professional in the industry making "the next Quake", then java probably wouldn''t suit you and you probably wouldn''t be reading this.

Q: I don''t want to use the Java2D API or the JFC for compatibility reasons, but I want their functionality. What should I do?

A: Think about making a newer java runtime a ''requirement'' for your game. See if you can include a runtime environment in you distribution. If it''s an applet, think about telling people to d/l the plugin. There is no easy way to get something for nothing.

If this thread comes up with enough topics and answers I will write all of it up in an attractive format and set up a web site for it.

,JL

Perhaps a tutorial on the sprite engine subject could be something someone with a lot of time could write ?

If I finally nail down what I am supposed to do, I can do that, I dont mind writing a tutorial, if it''ll stop people from having to go through the shit I have had to getting a simple operation like that

perhaps gamedev.net can put them up, then we can just link to them, how can we say in the webpage that shows us the java related msgs, that a faq exists, without having to post another msg each week ? just so people can see it everytime they come here ©t

Perhaps under or near each moderaters name there could be a link to a faq specific for that forum. I will submit the idea to the gdnet feedback forum. Feel free to submit there also.

I've contacted the people here at Gamedev.net about this FAQ thingie. Hopefully we can get a link in the topics page to the FAQ page.

I can borrow a bit of my website space for the forums FAQ if needed, but Jerry Lynn propably has space of his own. Which brings up the question, what is happening Jerry? Still trying to write that FAQ or still waiting for more submissions?

Also tutorials are welcome, if you want to write a tutorial page about a specific Java game programming topic eMail me the topic and I'll check if anyone else is writing a same kind of tutorial or not. My eMail address can be seen in my users profile.

If your tutorial is one of a kind, I'll read it and check the facts from you if needed. After that I'll put it up and give credit to the one who wrote the thing. I might change the formatting etc. a bit to make the page fit the look'n'feel of either this message forum or my site, but that's all...

Of course there is nothing stopping you from trying to get your tutorial published in the www.gamedev.net main page! I don't know how that goes, but I suppose you find out the right eMail address and suggest your article to the owner of that eMail address.

Edited by - javanerd on 3/20/00 1:59:31 PM

I have taken the two or three questions that have been posted to this thread and formated them in HTML, but we are going to need a lot more questions and answers to make an FAQ worth while. My current approach is to copy questions as they appears on this board and let the list build up over time.

I''ll post the address with the page that I have now later today or tommorow (I have to check with our server admin to make sure he is ready for it).

I could use some help in writing answers to the questions on the FAQ : ) I think it would be best to post suggested questions and answers on this thread so that they can be discussed, but if we need to do something else please let me know.

The FAQ list is not organized right now. I will be breaking the Q&A''s into a table of contents with some form of hiearchy, but I need more content before I can determine what the appropriate structure should be.

Thanks,

• Advertisement