• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dsage

full sail?

This topic is 5983 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wonder about this school. How much does the gamedev corse cost? Second Is it worth the arm and leg I have to give for it? thnx in advance!

Advertisement
Hey there. I attend FullSail. It is a pretty good amount, but, I think it is well worth it. I recently posted my astroids clone that you do during one of the classes there, and, I havent programmed before I went to the school. That game I posted, is What I was able to do, in 4 months of programming, and 1 week of DIrectX. The school is extremely fast paced, and intence. Looking at orughly 40 hours a week of in game classes, and many hours out of class. Good majority of classes in the game class, are from 5pm-1am. We are considered lucky, cause a lot of people will get lectures at like, 9am or 1pm, and have labs between 1-9am. Also, they have guest speakers that do come in and talk to us. Back in MArch, we had Jason DalaRoca(Sorry for butchering you name) founder of IGDA, a few guys from the companys in the area, and the high light, John Romero and Stevie Case. THe teachers as well, will help ya when ever you need help. In fact, the class im in now, the teacher gave us all his personal info, so if we need help, when ever, call him or look him up on-line, and hell help as much as he can. But it is fast paced, and intence. A lot of people get burnt out though, but if you have the passion, then it shouldnt be a problem. If you want more info, feel free to e-mail me at

jprettyfs@yahoo.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
however...the school isn''t so highly thought of amongst some of the games industry employers.

Well you cant really say that you programmed the whole game as you say u cant release some of the source as it is propietry to fullsail, impling that you did not code the whole thing... and I would not be wanting to work in the games industry once I have a family or something and the hours are total shit, so it will be harder for you to get a job if all you know is games...
Also what are the final year projects like?

CEO Plunder Studios

Hopefully by tommorow night, ill have my own DirectX classes done, bout 90% there now, so, my games full code, will be up tommorow or monday.

The game design program, last 15 months. Longest degree program at the school. The final game project, has been, well, everything in the book. Groups have made RTS's, FPS's, strategys, and a few have tried a MMORPG type game. The last 3 months of the degree goes with one month of Asset production/AI, and the final two are all working on the final project. How the whole deal is graded, is by milestones. We have to come up with an Idea of a game, and "pitch it" to the instructors. If they like it, we then get a "budget" and then a list of milestones for the game. Every milestone, they review what we have, and make sure its all up to par. Basically, at the end, we need to have a fully working game demo up and running. There has been some good final projects, and, there has been some bad ones. Some just look like the group fell apart, and decided to do nothing to the games, but, thats their own fault.

Yeah, the Teachers/admissions reps keep telling us the hours in the industry is crazy, and if we really want this, then be prepared for the long hours. But, I love games, and loving programming more and more, so, I'm ready for it. I have no real social life now, so, it wont bother me at all, heh

Peace

[edited by - Prettyboyfs on June 2, 2002 2:42:19 AM]

"however...the school isn''t so highly thought of amongst some of the games industry employers."

Then again, some absolutely love it. Take a look at Romero''s web page. (http://www.rome.ro/)

I''ve never been to fullsail, but I would think that cramming that much education into such short time would overload many people, especially if they''re newbies starting out. Not that they couldn''t do it, just that they couldn''t do it in that amount of time... but people need time to reflect on their knowledge, experiment by writing all sorts of programs, learn from their mistakes and so on in order to progress... and that takes time... can''t really push it can you?

I just don''t see many people (especially those who were newbies going into fullsail) really being "prepared" for the industry after just one year of study, no matter how "intense" that year was. As they say, Rome wasn''t built in a day...

What do fullsail grads think of that?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Sordith
"however...the school isn''t so highly thought of amongst some of the games industry employers."

Then again, some absolutely love it. Take a look at Romero''s web page. (http://www.rome.ro/)

Read the page, after being treated like VIP''s and possibly even paid at the very least for his expenses he''s not likely to say otherwise is he.

Besides, this guy is hardly a good example having screwed Ion Storm into the ground. No wonder he''s publicising schools. Probably needs to take jobs like these after selling his Ferrari.

As for the other guys comment...who the fuck is Ginger Smith?

Mr poster, if you can name the other 5 people in charge of Ion Storm, ill be impressed.

If anyone does have questions about the school, from a student prespective, please feel free to e-mail me at

jprettyfs@yahoo.com

Thanks

[edited by - Prettyboyfs on June 2, 2002 5:10:42 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!