full sail?

Started by
21 comments, last by dsage 21 years, 8 months ago
quote: Mr poster, if you can name the other 5 people in charge of Ion Storm, ill be impressed.

How childish...I know the names of these people and you don''t. I''m not particularly sure why being able to name drop is relevant. Does knowing the names of these people make you feel important young schoolboy?

You also say ''other five people in charge of Ion Storm''. So tell me who is the first one that we''ve mysteriously been talking about?
Advertisement
I''ve been through the tours that Full Sail gives and they are quite impressive. Full Sail definitely likes to pamper visitors and they have quite a lot of expensive equipment. However, I know of many (6+) graduates of the Film program (one who was the valedictorian) who are working at menial (ie. Walmart) jobs a year or so after graduating.

I think the consensus is that the industries don''t think very well of specialty schools such as Full Sail. That and the price, (35k for an Associate''s degree), made me decide to just get a regular four year degree instead. I''ll also have something to fall back on in case something goes sour.

But I''ve always thought that school is only as good as you make it, so for all of you already attending: "Good Luck! Make some kick-ass games!"
It is a serious school that does a good job of getting people ready for game development. It is not a general degree program, which has both its pros and cons. Some universities do an OK job of addressing graphic and entertainment, but not many. There is no middle ground yet.

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
The school is very good at what it does. The school gets you ready for a job however it doesn''t get you the job. Don''t confuse the two or you''ll be sorely disappointed.

In 15 months you''ll learn what would take a few years of reading books, grasping concepts, surfing the net for info, and programming.

What you don''t learn isn''t really on any website, or in any book, it''s the experience and knowledge that you gain once you get into the industry.

Does Full Sail teach you everything you need to know? Absolutely not, they teach you what you need to know to get started, after that it''s up to you to make contacts, find information, and elaborate on the education that you''ve received.

Full Sail Grad
Nov ''99

Joseph Fernald
Software Engineer
Red Storm Entertainment.
------------------------
The opinions expressed are that of the person posting
and not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Hi,

If you don''t go to Full Sail you might also consider Digipen (which is where I currently attend). It''s also a great school (although I really didn''t look into Full Sail) and it gives a BSc. It''s a 4 year program like most colleges but it teaches you quite a lot of stuff. Every year is pretty intense also. Here''s a breakdown of the type of games you would make during the 4 years:

1 - Text based (That''s what I just completed last year)
2 - Some type of graphic scroller (topdown RPG, sidescroller, whatever)
3 - Strategy (Starcraft?, MGS?)
4 - 3d (FPS, Flight sim, anything that can be 3d)

So, while not as fast as Full Sail, Digipen covers a lot of topics. They have specialized classes for AI (In which you can work on a RoboCup bot (Robotic Soccer) www.robocup.org) I think, it''s in one of the classes anyway, They also have general education type of stuff, english, mythology, sociology, ... So, all in all, Digipen is a well rounded school that has been endorsed by the industry. Also, every 3rd Thursday of the month a bunch of local game developers meet there and discuss game related topics (so it''s very interesting).

Just my $0.02

I''m learning, just like the best of us...
I'm learning, just like the best of us...Ok, now assume a spherical cow... :)
Hey soulkeeper, what semester are you in?

Hey,

I finished freshman year last April... So that makes me a Sophomore now. (Semester 3)

quote:Original post by Soulkeeper
3 - Strategy (Starcraft?, MGS?)

The requirement for 3rd year is a 3D game with some display of reallistic physics, and AI. The 4th year game has to be approved by the game instructor, the rules are more relaxed.

quote:
They also have general education type of stuff, english, mythology, sociology, ...

We take a grand total of 4 gen ed courses over 8 semesters. We are very focused, and ignore most classes that are considered to give a well rounded education.

- Kevin "BaShildy" King
Game Programmer: DigiPen
www.mpogd.com
- Kevin "BaShildy" KingGame Programmer: DigiPenwww.mpogd.com
Well, I guess I don''t know everything

Then again, I never claimed to. And I was just doing it off the top of my head.

I graduated from Full Sail this February so I know a little bit about the school. It was an ok experience. I REALLY wish I went to 4 year school instead though. The first 6 months you''re pretty much all over. Full Sail is famous for it''s audio program (they have excellent studios) so all the classes in the beginning focus on that. The history of this and that (phonograph, microphone, CD), memorize a mixer console diagram, learn about film production and techniques (it''s a film school too).

Basically it''s completely non game related for the first 3/5 of your time there. Not a major concern though since you have a lot of gen-ed classes in normal college, but I would have rather been learning about greek culture than the dynamic gain levels on a million dollar+ console. I really enjoyed the entertainment business/law classes though, they were extremelly educational and the instructors very helpful with any questions.

Finally we got to the core classes. Physics and Math were great, Wendy Stahler is an excellent teacher that knows how to relate math concepts to an easy to understand examples. Unfortunetly though she is not a programmer and knows nothing about the applications of the math she teachs (you wouldn''t believe how many uses there are for the dot product for instance and I couldn''t get one out of her).

Later you have real-time this and structure of that, but they''re all basically the same class. You learn quite a bit but the experience was the best (I had never gone for so many days without sleep. next time I learned to plan better, but it still happens and most college grads don''t understand this I don''t think). I wish they went into more useful things like making a level editor or model exporter for 3DS Max, but it never ever got that complicated.

Final project is the culmination of all of your experiences there, but it was so unstructured it was amazing. My group got our project done (it''s actually being hosted by Gamedev.net, the best game development website in the world! ;-) and it looked good but a little over 2 months is hardly enough time to make a project to be proud of.

Overall I''m proud of how I spent my time there and how I went above and beyond the 40+ hour school weeks to learn as much as I possibly could. For a lot of people that went there school was over when you got home. Making games is a passion, no school can teach you that. The nice thing about a 4 year degree is that you have plenty of time to figure things out. I spent close to **********$40,000********** to go to this school!!!!!! And thats with a florida scholarship (75% for public, <50% for private universitys). That''s with living expenses (Orlando aint cheap). Plus the tuiton went up right after I got there. And that is for less than 2 years time. I could have done a full 4 year degree for that much. Well what about the benefits? The C++ Class I took was about 17 people. My friend there just told me it''s over 40 now. So much for small class sizes.

So where am I know. Well I''m not working for Red Storm ;-). But I''m not working for Walmart either, although my cash reserves are dwindling and I''m going to have to get a lame job soon. Joseph (evaclear) is absolutely right though, don''t dare expect a job just for going to this school. Make the best you can of it but do whatever you need to make sure you''re ahead of the game. Right now I''m probably going to go back to normal college for another year or two, and guess what? NONE OF MY 100 CREDITS WILL BE TRANSFERED. It''s doesn''t matter that I got to play D&D with Dave Arneson (creator), or Deathmatch with John Romero. Those things don''t make you more valuable. My personal reccomendation is go to four year school, do your 10 hours a week, and come to these forums and look for tutorials as much as you can, that''s how you can learn. Get a traditional time honored and respected education, and if you are passionate enough about making games, your thesis should be a kick-ass game!

This is not a slam against Full Sail, please don''t think that. It''s a great school, but it''s not for everyone. Don''t go in with overly high hopes, oh, and don''t go there thinking you want to be a game designer, they are making programmers of you (seen quite a few students get chewed out for that). Sorry if my views are a little pessimistic but after a few interviews (Microsoft games for one) and many many resumes sent with few replies, you get a little disappointed with an insitution that was supposed to help you. Anyhow, good coding all.
"Artificial Intelligence: the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies."www.CodeFortress.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement