Do you guys use GLUT ??

Started by
5 comments, last by shoryuken 21 years, 10 months ago
I have read that GLUT is not favorable in game programming. I am wondering why this is so. I must''ve read the reason for it, but I have forgotten. Most game companies don''t use GLUT. Is this true? Why so?
Advertisement
The only thing I am aware of it that it isn''t cross platform as OpenGL is intended to be. GLUT is targeted at Windows and makes it easier to setup a window. Probably does other stuff but I never used it so that''s all I know!
bugawk?
I don''t use GLUT, but I probably would if I was making OpenGL demos and not entire games. For entire games I would use GLUT, except that I found SDL.
quote:Original post by Mr Bakbugawk
The only thing I am aware of it that it isn''t cross platform...

Yes it is.

Not true at all. GLUT is crossplatform. I have many programs that compile with GLUT flawlessly for Windows, Solaris, and Linux. GLUT, however, has far less functionality than you will get by using native OS API''s, since it has a fairly spartan feature set. That said, if you can live with what GLUT provides you, it is a very simple and fast way to program. I usually prefer to use a GLUT skeleton instead of a WGL skeleton whenever I do an OpenGL project.
I hear it just isn''t flexible enough for some things.

I have had only 1 problem with it, and I am using SDL now...

-AfroFire
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
GLUT is there more for learning. It isn''t really there for the purpose of making a full-fledged game. It lacks serious control over aspects of interface control and such. But glut is MUCH easier to use than windows. especially if learning opengl before windows. its also platform independent and avoids a lot of windowing source code for examples. in directx tutorials the first chapter always explains how to use a little windows because it doesnt have a glut like thing and only supports windows anyway.
Ah, I stand corrected. Should have visited this place first!
bugawk?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement