Visual Basic: Finding the name of a field in a DB

Started by
-1 comments, last by Zorodius 21 years, 10 months ago
I''m not a big fan of Visual Basic, but I''ve got to get a project done in the next couple days, and I can''t find the answer to a specific question. My book doesn''t know the answer, my teacher doesn''t know the answer (to this or any other question I''ve asked the whole quarter, /rant), and I can''t find the answer on MSDN (I''m sure it''s on there somewhere , but I haven''t been able to find it in my searches, and if I spend any longer researching VB stuff, I''m afraid my head will begin spinning around in complete revolutions while bile spews from my eardrums) So, I''m asking you guys. How can I find the names of fields, the names of tables, the number of fields, and the number of tables in a database using recordset methods or SQL query strings with Visual Basic? I know I can get the value of a field in the current record using this syntax (along with a bunch of others):
recordsetname.Fields("Fieldname") 
But I need to be able to find out that, for example, "there are 3 fields per record, and they are named ''primaryKey'', ''carType'', and ''yearMade''". Same thing with tables, although that''s less important than the fields. Anyone know?
You don't need to vote for the "lesser of two evils"! Learn about Instant Runoff Voting, the simple cure for a broken democracy!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement