• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Syrillix

writing a gui in DXG

This topic is 5836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all, at the moment im trying to design and implement a basic gui for a game and im trying to figure some things... i got a few ideas for buttons and windows. but i have no idea how to implement a text input field, lists and stuff like that.. anyone got any ideas or know of any resources online or in books etc, id be more than a appreciative... thannks in advance Get busy livin'' or get busy dyin''... - Shawshank Redemption

Advertisement
Taharez, i looked at that one a few times a while back but i didnt find all that helpful... but ill take a look at it again, maybe ive learnt enough to understand him

Get busy livin'' or get busy dyin''... - Shawshank Redemption

I thought that tutorial was great. The thing is that GUI programming is quite hard when you''re starting out, and a tutorial which explains a lot of solutions and gives the reader ideas of how to solve the problems that arises is much more valuable (imo) than a standard "ctrl-c/ctrl-v"-tutorial. So if you try to read the code and understand that, don''t. Just focus on his ideas, and the underlying concept of the structure and such. Then try to read the entire thing again, there''s a wealth of information in most resources, and you''d be amazed at how much more you learn from a text after a few sessions of processing =) I think this applies to most tutorials, if you don''t grasp the ideas at first, check with yourself if the content is on a level with your current knowledge. If it is, trye breaking it appart and "digesting" it slowly. If it''s still impossible to get what the guy is talking about, well, he''s probably a bad tutor :D

That''s really all I can do to help you, I wish you luck with your coding!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!