• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quake3 curved surfaces and direct ogl support

This topic is 5711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

is there a possibility to just pass the patches in a q3 map file via an extension directly to opengl?? i''ve found NV_evaluators but i cant get it working with a 3x3 patch, also the demo (from nvidia) is just for 4x4 patches... the reason i ask is that i don''t think that quake 3 precalculates them (look at q3dm5 at the morphing stuff from the walls and you know what i mean), and recalculating them EVERY frame is quite much... thanks for your help mfg phreak

Advertisement
I''m not sure about the extensions but I think Q3 does precalculate the patches into meshes. The morping things are just vertex shaders aren''t they?

>> The morping things are just vertex shaders aren''t they<<

no

u can precalulate the patches (they are just bezier patches) either before gameplay or during gameplay(shouldnt be that much of a hit at all)

>>i''ve found NV_evaluators but i cant get it working with a 3x3 patch, also the demo (from nvidia) is just for 4x4 patches...<<

i forget what nv_evaluators use but i dont think u can use them with the quake3 input numbers to automatically spit out the triangles

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

Guest Anonymous Poster
q3dm5 contains no "morphing" things. You probably mean q3dm4. Is it the "deformvertex bulge" effect on that patches you mention? This effect can be of course calculated in realtime very efficiently, you just need proper normals at each vertex, no re-tesselation is needed. Quake3 indeed does precalculate all patches at load time, but they also compute different LoDs of them, so they can switch between them when the patch gets further away. All other shader-effects are applied at runtime.

skynet

yea indeed it was dm4

hmm normals you say...
never thought about that...

thanks for the advice that''ll keep me goin for awhile
this is just one of the very few parts that keeps my shders from beeing 100% ''quake style''

mfg Phreak

Quake 3 precalculates the mesh.. ID accomplishes LOD by dropping columns of vertices from the grid/mesh. (They don't precalculate multiple LOD levels.) You can observe this if you run Quake 3 in wireframe mode.

I personally pre-tesselate the meshes myself in software, but I do know of people who have gotten the basic openGL evaluators to work. I don't know about nVidia extension versions, though.

If you are willing to toss out the shader vertex deforms on the patches, you could run the openGL evaluators in a display list as a form of precalculation.

It's not all that hard to pre-tesslelate the patches, though. You can knock up a slow direct evaluation tesselator in a weekend, and that's really all you need if you aren't tesselating at run time.

[edited by - cheesegrater on June 3, 2002 12:36:10 PM]

• Advertisement