To MS beta testers or anyone else

Started by
19 comments, last by Deluxe 24 years ago
Does anyone know if you can dull-boot Windows ME and Windows 2000?
Does anyone listen to Destiny''s Child, TLC, or Sammie?
Advertisement
I personally prefer dull, boring boots without any nasty surprises

Seriously though, i dont know, but i have one suggestion to you -> dont touch win2k for at least a year from now, let it mature, why create problems for yourself ? It took 1 year for both win95 and win98 bfore they were patched and usable.
Right now win98SE seems to be the best that M$ has, its tested and working, everybody supports it.

-kertropp
-kertropp C:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad ideaC:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
Windows 2000 has been stable since it was in beta. Dont go around telling people not to use it just because you ''think'' its bad. Windows 98 on the other hand is the most unstable POS ever made.

Josh
*groan* Why do people insist on making asses of themselves? It''s common knowledge that you let a couple patches come out for an OS before you go running to use it.

Microsoft came and demo''ed Win2k for us and we all saw it crash.... more than once. It also has known memory issues if you have more than 64 megs ram. Try to keep the discusion knowledgable, ok Josh?

please direct all typo/spelling error information to /dev/null
As a testament to the wait issue. I upgraded to Win2K Pro and have had nothing but trouble with EverQuest. Baulder''s Gate runs fine but EQ sucks big time. Non of the Win2K drivers I have support my video cards and none of the distribution drivers support hardware accelerated 3D. Yes wait. Forget what Josh said. Once the drivers are out and they are stable, I would recommend Win2K, because Win2K is a rather stable OS. DirectX crashes that lock up the screen in full screen mode, never take down the machine so stability is not the issue here. It is compatibility.

Kressilac
ps I am still eagerly awaiting a Rage Pro driver from ATI. Go figure as this is one of their most popular OEM drivers to date.
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
You guys must be right.. I mean i''ve only been running it for over a year and haven''t had any problems with it. But obviously that means nothing because you two seem to think you know everything. The only real problem with it is lack of drivers for hardware. But that''s what the HCL is for. It''s there to allow people to see if their hardware is supported. And Sordith i''d love to know what crashed on it.

Josh
You can dual boot between Win2k and WIn9x/WinME, or at least thats what I''m told. I deleted Win98 and went entirely over to Win2000 several months ago.

For the record, Win2000 is the most stable Microsoft operating system I''ve ever used. If your machine has any flaws, it will expose them much more quickly than Win9x - but if you have a stable PC with properly supported hardware, its wonderfully stable.

I''ve heard that there are some issues with games; I recommend the Microsoft Win2000 game compatibility page for more information. It runs the vast majority of things I''ve thrown at it, but my tastes are relatively conservative. Recently, its been running Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Alpha Centauri, Jedi Knight, Starcraft, Ultima IX just fine.
Very conservative...
Generally it seems that the most "popular" games are supported. As for older games, or games in more odd categories, there will probably be more problems with win2k than with win98. And that''s what Microsoft has stated as well, so they haven''t hidden anything or so.
I''ve only tested win2k for some days, can''t get my agp to work properly (aladdin), but it was really stable, at least.

A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
josh, just because it doesn''t crash for you doesn''t mean it doesn''t crash (also just because i saw it crash doesn''t mean that''s all it does.)

the microsoft team was also demoing office 2k so i''m guessing that it was a gpf with a part of office (i''m guessing outlook, but they closed the error, and rebooted fairly fast )
I used Win2k Beta3, and After installing everything was ok, but I had some trouble with my modem, which had to be on COM5, which then took my mouse out, which then messed lots of stuff up, well, I would definitly wait for at least 1 Service Pack before Switching over, Also, one they have PERFECT support for the Best Designed Proccesor in the World, the K7

PS: little off topic, but doesnt anyone else think Intels Merced will get its ass kicked by SledgeHammer, because of the lack of native 32bit proccesing?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement