Forming a Corporation

Started by
4 comments, last by brooksilver 21 years, 10 months ago
I am preparing to form a corporation in Delaware. There are only two of us forming the corporation: I live in FL and the other person lives in DE. We have a team of people volunteering right now scattered across the US. Does anyone know if we would be required to register as a "foreign" corporation in the states where each team member lives? The fees and overhead required in doing so would probably be too much for us at this stage. I may be wrong, but I think that we''d only be required to register in FL as a foreign corporation (with DE as the state of incorporation) if we hire each person on the team as independent contractors instead of employees. Has anyone had experience in forming a game development corporation? If so, what advice can you give me? Thanks for the help!
Advertisement
No. it dosent really matter where you are from to register as a corporation in any state, you just need to have a registered agent in that state to be able to file the necessary papers and such. There are a few websites that do this for you for a small fee, they also take care of organizing all your taxes for you and just send you a quarterly bill, it really is worth the money.

www.bizfilings.com

No. it dosent really matter where you are from to register as a corporation in any state, you just need to have a registered agent in that state to be able to file the necessary papers and such. There are a few websites that do this for you for a small fee, they also take care of organizing all your taxes for you and just send you a quarterly bill, it really is worth the money.

www.bizfilings.com

Thanks for the replies and links. I''ve learned how to incorporate from my research and what paperwork is involved. My question was do I HAVE to register in each state where each person on our team lives?

I found out the answer to my question today anyway. If we hired employees from different states, then we would be required by law to register as a "foreign corporation" in each of those states. But if we are only hiring independent contractors, and buying goods in a state, then we don''t have to register in that state. Why does that matter? There are fees that range from $100-200 annually for each state, plus having a registered agent (another $50-100+ a year), as well as other laws and fees on top of more paperwork, reports, etc. It''s just too much for a small startup like us .

It''s pretty simple. Hiring employees requires payroll tax, withholding, a state tax id number, etc.

Independent contactors are responsible are just paid, and they''re then responsible for all their payroll taxes themselves.
no you dont have to register in each state you have employees in. Long as you have a registered agent in the state that you are incorporating in you are fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement