Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gameplay vs content -- evolution of the technology demo?

This topic is 5673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying out a few RPGs currently, namely Dungeon Siege, Gothic, and Blood Omen - Legacy of Kain (a friend is really touting the sequel, so I thought I would pick up a copy of the older version to see what it''s about). The orientation of the first game seems to be more around content, eye-candy, and cool-factor... and Gas Powered Games really seems to have pulled it off. But as for actual game content, it falls sorely short of the mark. In Gothic (and I''ve only played around with it a little bit), there seems to be more narrative, conversations, and a little bit of factional dispute (which is entertaining at least on a more intellectual level than killing endless monsters). We''ll see how the rest of the game is executed. And in Blood Omen, it seems to be mindless violence, but it makes heavy use of poetic prose to explain what is going on in the game. Without it, the game would be a mindless hack''n''slash (moreso). I''ve checked out all three games on Gamespot and PC Gamer, and the reader reviews indicate that mindless violence is good, even the slightest technical problems are bad (despite the rest of hte game content), and pretty graphics are wonderful. In addition, I just installed Spiderman the Movie (the game), and attempted to launch it... and was politely notified that my non-T&L video card was just not good enough to run the game. Is it just my own exposure to a certain group of games, or does it really seem that games that concentrate on graphics and violence really strike a chord in gamers that makes the game popular? There are games that contradict this statement of course. Deus Ex, the later Final Fantasy-series games (haven''t played ''em but I have heard raves of the storylines), and any others that make you pause and think of "the big picture" that is presented in the game. So where do we find balance between eye-candy and anything intellectual? Or is achieving balance something that is not possible (yet or ever?) given that there are completely different fan-bases for different types of games? MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

Guest Anonymous Poster
Your first mistake was thinking that ANY of those games are RPGs, when they are infact Hack and Slashes / Barely Adventure games.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yah, they aren''t RPG''s, there are 2 kind of shoot''m up games. The kind where you just kill everything and the kind where you got to think alot. So what? Some love Violence some love Strategy. when you mix them both together you get a Great Games like Halo or Half-Life. The games are just suppost to be Fun not Educational or something.

well look at a game like half-life. most popular game in the world at the moment. the graphics are based on a 6 year old engine with some more detail, but what makes this game great is that its still fun and will run on nearly any computer made within the last 4 or 5 years.

gameplay will beat the crap outta eye candy, you just have to get the message across and make it stick

Yeah, barazor''s right. To have any kind of longevity in a game, you have to have depth and content.

Fantastic graphics are a tool used by game creators to further enhance the reality of the world they create. By doing this, they create a more immersive experience, improving the gameplay.

However, graphics must always come second to the story. I just went out and bought Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast partially because of the fantastic graphics the Quake III engine provides, but mostly because, just for a while, I wanted to feel like a Jedi Knight, to have the power of the Force, and to mess around with a lightsabre. I play Half-Life to kill monsters and feel like I''m in the middle of a government conspiracy.

This is what makes a great game. The story, the content, the gameplay. Fancy graphics, sound, and AI are the medium which prgrammers use to create this, just as canvas is the medium of the artist, film the medium of the director.

Without gameplay and a story, you don''t have a game...

Movie Quote of the Week:

"I''ve seen things you people wouldn''t believe. Attack ships
on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter
in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will
be lost in time, like...tears in rain. Time to die."

- Roy Batty, Blade Runner.

Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle - DarkVertex Coming Soon!

Remember though, >>at the time<<, Half-Life achieved phenomenal popularity because it offered both outstanding graphics and cutting edge gameplay.

The gameplay has kept it going as long as it has, though, and top notch support from Valve.