• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tmg

Programming is too HARD!!!

This topic is 5981 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying, I really am. But it seems that I can''t do programming. I mean, I really want to learn, It''s just that I would rather do Game Programming than Normal Programming. I guess I am just an impatient person when it comes to learning a new langauge, I reckon I am too anxious to bother learning, and just be a porfessional right away. Well stuff it! If I can''t be a professional programmer then I guess that I''ll have to learn! Anyway, C++ can''t be THAT hard. I''ll think of it as another langauge. All langauges take a while to learn, so I know that as soon as I learn all of the classes, definitions, and what header files I should include, (there is other stuff, but there''s too much to remember), then I can go about making my own game, or modify someone elses, like DOOM, I''d like to add to or modify that engine, hmmm... I think I am gonna go and do some coding now. ____________________________ Everyone says that the world is corrupt. The World inside my head is more peaceful than this one.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Name-ing-Way
What a dumb and pointless thread...

Agreed...all that energy spent ranting and raving could be used learning to program.

It''s no so black and white as ''you either have it or you don''t'' but different people manage with programming in different ways and some won''t cut it, either through incorrect aptitude or attitude. Even then bear in mind, you can be the best programmer in the world but looking at a screen and typing all day can be a very hard way to make a living.

Still, no point in getting frustrated. People wanting to get into the industry should explore all avenues. It''s not just about programming.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes, programming is hard. Here''s my advice: If you enjoy it, then you''ll WANT to work at it even though it''s hard. If you don''t like working at it, find something else you like. Look at what freakchild said.

Guest Anonymous Poster
HE SPEAKS THE TRUTH!

quote:
Original post by tmg
I''m trying, I really am. But it seems that I can''t do programming.

Aren''t you trying to learn Object Oriented Programming (classes, member functions, abstractions, etc.)? I am not a beginner, but whenever I try to do OOP, I start to think something like that. I just get lost in an infinite number of choices (to which object does this function belongs, should this be public or private, can I use templates here, and so on). But when I switch back to procedural (modular, non-OOP, C-style) programming, everything goes normal again. Many problems still are relatively hard, but they are solvable and there is limited number of design options.

Not everyone can be a programmer. If it''s not working out for you and you don''t believe it ever will, get a new hobby. The sooner you find your "thing" the better off you''ll be.

It took me a year to finish my first big game (Cradle Quest 1) which was written in QuickBASIC. Everything I know about QuickBASIC is in that game. Before I started, I didn''t know the first thing on how to complete it. And it took another year to complete CQ2 and that was in Visual Basic. A couple years later I coded both CQ1 and CQ2 for the TI-85 (both graphical) in less than a month. Using QuickBASIC forced me to optimize my code. CQ1 actually ended up using the maximum number of lines of code that QB 4.5 could handle.

It''s going to take a long time to make your first game but the more you put into it the first time around, the better you''re going to be the second time around. I still use the concepts from those first two games in far more sophisticated projects using C++ and DirectX. From all my previous experience, I get things done much quicker. You have to crawl before you can walk. And you have to walk before you can run.

Game Programming is just Normal Programming but with a more interesting interface. Stick with it and in a few years you''ll be good at it. Or, find something else that''ll hold your interest better.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | Programming | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!