Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Height Map - Terrain Rendering Resources

This topic is 5672 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There seems to be a lack of resources on google and around the places that I looked about beginning to use height maps to generate terrain.. I understand the concept, but I need a little explanation on implementation? Anyone have good resources? (maybe not even online) But I really need some places that will start from ground zero on using height maps in your code. Thanks for your help.. I''m using DirectX 8.1. I looked at the SDK but I couldn''t find a program that started with height maps. Also, while I''m on topic, it''d be great to hear a little explanation on other implementation techniques such as ROAM. I hear it uses some theorem that renders more polygons closer to the viewer or something.. does it still use height maps? What terrain generating algorithms are the most optimal and the least straining?

First don''t worry about any sort of culling or poly reduction like ROAM to start. Just worry about rendering a basic height map to start with.

http://www.vterrain.org has a lot of resources. I''d say that would be a good place to start.

The Billboard sample of the DX SDK uses a sort of height map. It loads a flat subdivided quad and algorythmicly applies a y value to all the vertices.

Jack

Great! The billboard example does give a little insight in it.. that site is great also, I''ve seen Yann pull some references from it but I''ve never been to the main page. Thanks a lot, that page has helped me understand it a lot better..

You could look at http://www.gametutorial.com There''s a few examples in page 3 (I think) of the OpenGL tutorials. It''s OpenGL but it could be some help.