Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you like to see in a beginner book?

This topic is 5674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering what you guys value when you go hunting for books in the shelfs? For instance should it be many small examples or a few larger playable games, well documented of course? //Jolt

I reckon lots of smaller examples showing good program structure, followed by one project that brings them all together. I think that''s one of the things missing in a lot of books. They teach you how to use DirectX and the likes (which is all in the docs anyway) but not how to code well or build a game.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

Yes, that''s exactly what''s needed, you need to be taught how all the parts of directX will come together and how a game works. Not just "this is this, this is that now you can make a game!" I want "This is this, this is that, this is how to make a game".

Guest Anonymous Poster
which shows this is how to make a proffesional looking game such as doom 3, cause if all what the book does is show a demo-game, you don´t get as motivated as if you know you will learn how a top game works.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
which shows this is how to make a proffesional looking game such as doom 3, cause if all what the book does is show a demo-game, you don´t get as motivated as if you know you will learn how a top game works.

I wasn''t thinking like this, I was thinking more like asteroids...

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

You have to learn how to walk before you can run.