Polygon Budget

Started by
2 comments, last by JesterX 21 years, 10 months ago
Hi there, Is there a way to know about the average polygon budget acceptable for some game ? I want to target my project for TNT2 cards but i don''t find any usefull information on the polygon per seconds the card can handle... Thank you
Advertisement
It''s not just about how much the card can handle, but how good you are at pushing polygons properly.

Code up the basics of your engine and run some tests on the target system before you give polygon budgets to the artists.
The TNT2 has not hardware transform and lighting, so I am not really sure about the number of triangles. It does have a very low fillrate of 250M pixels a second, so i suspect you will run out of fillrate much sooner that triangles (unless you are drawing lots of really small triangles). It shouln''t be that hard for you to coble together a test program to get a rough estimate of how many triangles you can push. Just draw a bunch of really small triangles (make sure they are small so you get the geometry limit and not fillrate limit) and note the frames per second; increase number of triangles drawn by a factor of 10 and repeat.
What i dumb question i''m asking here! I didn''t realize it at first... (I''m really ashamed of myself!) According to my code, i''ll have about a maximum of 10k poly for the field, 6000 polys for the characters and about 8k poly for a maximum number of other objects that can be in that area... well 24k polys : about any card can handle that at 25fps minimum!

I didn''t realize that even if my field was about 3 millions poly, i''ll not draw it entirely ever!!!

... Forget that thread!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement