• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Satyr

Age of Wonders - are these hexes?

This topic is 6725 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been checking out AoW and am wondering if they''re using hex tiles in there. I like the look/feel of the graphics and want to emulate it for ''My Own Engine'' I''ve become comfortable with using/coding the ''standard?'' rhombus/4sided tiles, but if these are hex, I''ve got some learning to do... Any one have any Ideas? Also, for my own sanity, does anyone else buy a game just to analyze it? while(1){++IQ;}

Advertisement
I''m not sure but I belive that they use Hex-Tiles (I just look to some photos).
Right now I''m working to an engine with HexTiles if I can help you...
And Yes I''m also a Lunatic who buy games just to analize them!!

That was just my next question, where I could dig up some info on using hex tiles.

''Research''....I like that, it''s gotta nice ring to it,
I gotta go try it on my fiance!

while(1){++IQ;}

while(1){++IQ;}... that would give you a nice IQ (at least until it wraps around), but you wouldn''t be able to do much with it

Alexandre Moura
alexmoura@hotmail.com

I have been playing aow for some time now, and the tiles are indeed hexes. Infact, i have actually done almost a recreation that exact game, just to see if I could.

I got my first direct x book only about 4 weeks ago, and before that i had never programmed a game or anything longer then a few hundred lines in c++, and i was able to recreate the hex map, add units (for more then 1 player), unit movement, scrolling, and unit combat (all units have hp, attack,defense/bonuses ect...) and i even have hitpoint power bars next to the units.

I found it all fairly easy, but I havent added sound yet to it or directplay, that will be added in the next week or 2 and i also have to add in mouse scrolling (its all done with keyboard keys right now).

If you want to see my code, i would be glad to share it, but you must offer input back to me on what you think of it and how i can improve it. And tell me of anything else you come up with to add to it. I used directx7 with VC++ 5.0. And the code is extremely well documented. Just email me if you want it.

Possibility
pull0017@tc.umn.edu

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!