Is their a way to use PlaySound() to play 2 sounds at once?

Started by
4 comments, last by goomyman 21 years, 10 months ago
When i use PlaySound or sndPlaySound ( pretty much the same thing but older ) and I have looping background music. When I play another sound the background music stops. Is their another way i could play sounds to fix this like use direct 3d sound.
Advertisement
You need one buffer per sound playing.

You should write a wrapper for DSound to simplify everything. I have one function that plays a specific buffer number. On that loads the file on the fly to the first open buffer and plays it. And a few others.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | Programming | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting]
If you want simpler than DirectSound (which I assume because you were using PlaySound) use the MCIWnd macros.

oh im sure i could have used direct sound but ive never done it and i just wanted to throw in sounds and make them work. From the responses im assuming i cant do it in playsound(). Next time i will just spend the time to use direct sound.
You might make your life easier by using DirectMusic instead. Starting with DX8 DirectMusic can handle both command-based and wave sounds, and makes the entire implementation rather simple. I was able to jump in and make a class to handle all music for a game I am working on in about 20 minutes, with no prior experience.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
MCIWnd is really easy to use. I coded a simple MFC dialog to play two mp3s at once, each one of which could be independently paused/resumed, with only a dozen lines of MCI code. DirectX Audio will most likely give you better performance, but it will require more effort as well.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement