Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

models

This topic is 5673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Why should I use one model type over the other? Is it a matter of preference? Are they used for different purposes? Which model type do you thynk I should use in my games? Thank You

In some ways it can be a matter of preference, but also certain things like md3''s and such are only used for a humanoid sort of person, ie 2 legs a head and and 2 arms. but most people will say that if you are really developing a big game, then learn other formats only for the knowledge to create your own later. It will really help if you are making an engine.

I''m asking this because I am doing a demo for college and I don''t know which type of model to use for the terrain. It will need textures. I was thinking of using 3ds, what do you think?

Thank You

Guest Anonymous Poster
For terrain you could use 3ds models or you could use a height map instead.

I agree. Go for heightmaps. They can be anything from real easy Brute Force to highly advanced ROAM algorithms. Also, it can be really fast. Just take a browse through the articles here or visit Google.

If you cannot decide which to use, I have written an article about Brute Force VS ROAM terrain mapping. Visit the link in my signature. Good luck on your project!

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

[edited by - smarechal on June 5, 2002 4:10:34 AM]