models

Started by
3 comments, last by Cherub 21 years, 10 months ago
Hi, Why should I use one model type over the other? Is it a matter of preference? Are they used for different purposes? Which model type do you thynk I should use in my games? Thank You
Advertisement
In some ways it can be a matter of preference, but also certain things like md3''s and such are only used for a humanoid sort of person, ie 2 legs a head and and 2 arms. but most people will say that if you are really developing a big game, then learn other formats only for the knowledge to create your own later. It will really help if you are making an engine.
I''m asking this because I am doing a demo for college and I don''t know which type of model to use for the terrain. It will need textures. I was thinking of using 3ds, what do you think?

Thank You
For terrain you could use 3ds models or you could use a height map instead.
I agree. Go for heightmaps. They can be anything from real easy Brute Force to highly advanced ROAM algorithms. Also, it can be really fast. Just take a browse through the articles here or visit Google.

If you cannot decide which to use, I have written an article about Brute Force VS ROAM terrain mapping. Visit the link in my signature. Good luck on your project!

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

[edited by - smarechal on June 5, 2002 4:10:34 AM]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement