Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dev-C++ iostream Problem

This topic is 5675 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, Ive got a problem, when I type a program, simple or otherwise, Dev-C++ doesn''t want to run it. It compiles A-ok but, when I press the ''run'' button, a DOS screen flashes up and then goes away, and I cant even tell it my cout is even displayed... Someone help please, my good programming buddy said it was something that Windows stopped putting in its OSs that C++ needs to run. Can anyone confirm this? Any help is appreciated. Sample text... #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { int length; //this declares a variable length = 7; // this assigns 7 to length cout << "The length is "; cout << length; //this displays 7 return 0; } ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This does not work for me, the same dang flashing screen... Help!

Have you tried other compilers ?
They should give the same result.

Because the program will just print number 7 on the screen, and then quit. If you make the program to wait for a keypress after it has printed the number, you should be able to see it.

Or... you can go to MS-DOS prompt and run your program from there.

Alright, good idea on the alternate compilers suggestion... I believe I used Borland to do the same operation when I was just learning and it created errors, but eventually did the same terminating operation problem.

But about the keystroke-termination idea, I guess that''d work, but my point is that its such a simple operation... and also, if anyone else has Dev-C++ help me out here, but shouldnt there be a place in the compiler program that shows you the output? Sorry if this is all naive, heh.

It probably works just fine. When your program runs, it displays a console (what some people call a "DOS window") and after if finishes, the console is closed. This happens so fast that you don''t see what''s going on.

You should make it wait for a keypress, just add the line

cin.get ();

quote:
Original post by IconoKlast
Im assuming I put that in the main function, but where? first line? Thanks btw.

Hrrrm... the line before "return 0"

Btw, the compiler suggestion was a joke. The thing that happens to you is not a bug, or error...

That is one of the problems that bug newbies that use Dev-C++...
Put

int tempo=0; scanf("...",tempo);

before return 0; and you should be just fine...

(got this off cone3d)

This is perfectly normal behavior : as the program terminates, the console window is closed. Open a console window yourself ("dos prompt"), then run your program in there.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]