Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geforce and DX

This topic is 5670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When in D3D I enumerate my adapters displaymodes I haven''t got any formats like D3DFMT_A8XXXXXX or, for instance, D3DFMT_D16 (i.e. none with alpha and/or depth); and some other formats. Does that mean that my graphics card doesn''t support hardware depth buffer? I''ve got a GeForce 3 so I find that quite peculiar. Or maybe I''m misunderstanding something? In that case please straighten me out Cherioooooooo ************************* A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.

Your displaymode format must have color components only. You don''t need alpha nor depth buffer to see a 2D image on your monitor, do you? Alpha channel is used in textures for controlling how texels are mapped to pixels, but it''s useless in a backbuffer format. Similarly, the depth buffer is used for rendering, but it''s a separate surface attached to the backbuffer and is not a part of the backbuffer as such.