Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] applet error

This topic is 5674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Here''s my situation. I''m running tomcat403 webserver and I made an applet. When I run it on my computer, it runs fine. When I run it on my brother''s computer, it runs fine. When I run it from my dad''s computer, I get "class ___ not found" and a gray box. When I run it from work, I get "class ___ not found" and a gray box. When I run it from my fiance''s house, I get "class ___ not found" and a gray box. I''ve tried setting my dad''s browser security to low and that didn''t change anything. I''ve tried uploading this to another webserver and all the same problems still occur. ALSO, I downloaded an applet from sun''s site, and it runs fine on every computer from my web server. SO The problem is NOT that there is a mispelling or bad path to the class files from the HTML page. any ideas? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OS versions? Browser versions? JVM versions? Do they have the plugin, the MS VM, etc?
How about what does your applet do? Does it use classes from Java 1.2+ or another, third party library? What does the error message actually say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Both my brother and my dad were running windows XP and one worked and the other didn''t. Browser is IE6 on all. Not sure about JVM, is that needed on users machine to run an applet?

I do have some deprecation as far as using the keyUP/keyDown features but I got gray box even after I commented it out so there was no deprecation. No 3rd party libraries.

The error says "class not found"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi,

I think, that the reason is Microsoft does not support JAVA well.
You might think, that no JRE on the client machine is needed, but to achieve full compatibility do not rely on browsers alone.
This is a well known problem to me and it started to show up when Sun released JAVA2 (JDK 1.2).
The browsers (MS IE for example) were unable to run my code (I used Collections and the browser was giving me "class not found" exceptions). The only way to resolve the issue was to install JRE (Java Runtime Environment).

It''s easy to check. Pick one class/method that was added in JDK 1.2 (1.3, 1.4 respectively) and try to run the code and catch exceptions
On the other hand you could just look in the "java console" of the target computer (if you have access).
If I am remembering correctly you could also "peek" into System.getProperties(), where this information should also be stored.

have a nice day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the help guys. I''ve tried downloading the JRE and then running the applet but now it just times out. I''ll try the plugin next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites