[java] applet error

Started by
4 comments, last by mr2071 21 years, 10 months ago
Here''s my situation. I''m running tomcat403 webserver and I made an applet. When I run it on my computer, it runs fine. When I run it on my brother''s computer, it runs fine. When I run it from my dad''s computer, I get "class ___ not found" and a gray box. When I run it from work, I get "class ___ not found" and a gray box. When I run it from my fiance''s house, I get "class ___ not found" and a gray box. I''ve tried setting my dad''s browser security to low and that didn''t change anything. I''ve tried uploading this to another webserver and all the same problems still occur. ALSO, I downloaded an applet from sun''s site, and it runs fine on every computer from my web server. SO The problem is NOT that there is a mispelling or bad path to the class files from the HTML page. any ideas? Thanks.
Advertisement
OS versions? Browser versions? JVM versions? Do they have the plugin, the MS VM, etc?
How about what does your applet do? Does it use classes from Java 1.2+ or another, third party library? What does the error message actually say?
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Both my brother and my dad were running windows XP and one worked and the other didn''t. Browser is IE6 on all. Not sure about JVM, is that needed on users machine to run an applet?

I do have some deprecation as far as using the keyUP/keyDown features but I got gray box even after I commented it out so there was no deprecation. No 3rd party libraries.

The error says "class not found"
Hi,

I think, that the reason is Microsoft does not support JAVA well.
You might think, that no JRE on the client machine is needed, but to achieve full compatibility do not rely on browsers alone.
This is a well known problem to me and it started to show up when Sun released JAVA2 (JDK 1.2).
The browsers (MS IE for example) were unable to run my code (I used Collections and the browser was giving me "class not found" exceptions). The only way to resolve the issue was to install JRE (Java Runtime Environment).

It''s easy to check. Pick one class/method that was added in JDK 1.2 (1.3, 1.4 respectively) and try to run the code and catch exceptions
On the other hand you could just look in the "java console" of the target computer (if you have access).
If I am remembering correctly you could also "peek" into System.getProperties(), where this information should also be stored.

have a nice day
Petr Stedry
Try to use the Java Plugin, to modify your html file to include the plugin, go to http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/converter.html to download the converter.

D-

-----------
Érdely!
-----------Érdely!
Thanks for the help guys. I''ve tried downloading the JRE and then running the applet but now it just times out. I''ll try the plugin next.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement