Ideas for pixel shaders

Started by
8 comments, last by hello2k1 21 years, 10 months ago
Well I was learning how to use pixel shaders, and was wondering what ideas some people here have come up with (using shaders in general, not just shader)
------------------------------There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't.
Advertisement
Take a look at the nVidia effects browser, the ATI whitepapers, and other resources.

Also, my book "Real time rendering tricks and techniques in DirectX" is primarily about shaders.

People seem to be coming up with new ideas on a daily basis...
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
I can''t see 60% of the effects in the effects browser since i don''t have a card with hardware T&L. Also yes, I did set it to use the ref device.. but I guess it''s just shotty programming.
------------------------------There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't.
you can do some very interesting things by treating textures as functions that feed into the shader instead of simply a visual texture.

This is the crux of many of the new ideas.
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
quote:Original post by hello2k1
I can''t see 60% of the effects in the effects browser since i don''t have a card with hardware T&L. Also yes, I did set it to use the ref device.. but I guess it''s just shotty programming.

To make the reference device work:

a) you have to hav the *DEBUG* D3D runtimes enabled (you get the option when installing the SDK).

b) you need to ensure the device is enabled in the control panel.

Beware though that for some of the samples in the NVSDK you''ll get less than 1 frame per second - so it might appear it isn''t working, but it is.

As for shaders in general, and what has been done, take a look at Renderman (http://www.renderman.org/RMR/RMRShaders.html).

Generally a subset of the RenderMan shaders is the direction many 3D hardware manufacturers are heading (can''t say more/who due to NDAs...)

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

a) check
b) check

I always have REF mode and debug mode enabled. If I didn''t, I wouldn''t be able to debug my pixel shader app I have also checked off the "Use Reference Device" menu item under Options->D3D.
Have you actually gotten the examples to work using a GF2 MX? Some of the examples work, but most don''t (eg. "Brushed Metal v2.0") Also, do you think they might be OpenGL apps? If they are, does OpenGL have a sort of REF device?
I have a GF2 MX and I have the same problem, I have debug and REF enabled, but they are stilled greyed out in the menu, any help from someone who has done this before?
Doesn't anyone know the answer to this problem? I would really like to see those effects.

[edited by - hello2k1 on June 4, 2002 6:18:57 PM]
Hmmm... my laptop is a GF2MX (GF2Go is the same chip) and I haven''t had any problems with the ones I''ve tried. I don''t have the brushed metal handy to try, so I can''t check at the moment.

How don''t they work? Do they crash? do they put garbage on the screen? etc. Remember, they are very slow in ref, so you might not see anything for awhile.

Please let us know exactly what''s happening.
They are greyed out.. so I can''t even get them to try to run..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement