• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kajjait

New Game Advice before i mess it up

This topic is 5888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making a sort of flight combat game. the end result will hopefully be similar to star fox (the way the ship moves where it is allowed to go ect) and i was wondering if any of you fine people can help me. can anyone tell me the best way of loading a level like this, what sort of special effects i should use (im sort of a newbie so something not to hard) and if i should use octrees quadtrees or anything of that nature for the game.. thank you -kajjait

Advertisement
well, if you''re a newbie i wouldnt be wondering about
which sort of special effects to use...
if i were you i''d concentrate on how to use the basics of GL.
loading a "level" like that is entirely up to you and your design.
i tend to create my own formats (which are essentially
multiple files crammed together seperated by parsing delimiters).

example:

[header (number of files, ect]

[sprite block]
[bitmap header, tile width, tile height, ect]
[bitmap data]
..repeat
[end sprite block]

[font block]
[tga header, width, height, ect]
[tga data]
.. repeat
[end font block]

ect ect ect...

of course, you dont want to compile anything into these big
ass files until you know you''re done with them.. because
once they''re in there, they''re a tad hard to edit.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

well im not that much of a newbie, i have a decent understanding of OpenGL and have made a few attempts at a game engine but nothing has ever been finished... i have done several forms of level loading in the past from heightmaps to 3d models.. i was just wondering what would be best for this type of a game, because i dont want to spend days coding it and figure out if i do it a different way it will be 50% faster.. (this has happened before) :[

maybe it would be a better idea to modify an already existing engine, like from the book i have , "OpenGL Game Programming"

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!