Writing a UDP server behind a firewall?

Started by
-1 comments, last by breville 21 years, 10 months ago
hi all, I am writing a little peer2peer chat application which I have running on my computer, and I''m having some trouble with my firewall software. You can read about my program at www.brendanland.com if you''re interested; there are quite a few explanations on how it works. I have ZoneAlarm running here. When someone wants to connect to my computer, they send a UDP message to a known port on my box. I have a socket bind()ed to the port, but I never called listen() because I''m only accepting UDP, not TCP. However, the UDP message never arrives. I thought I could get around this by having the server on my box first send a UDP message out to the client who''s about to connect. That way ZoneAlarm will see their incoming packet as a "reply" to the one I sent, and will let the packet through. Should this work? Because it didn''t seem to. Should I perhaps be calling listen() on my server port? Would that help? The basic question is this: how can my program tell ZoneAlarm that it should let UDP packets through to a given port? thanks very much! - Brendan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement