• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Box enters the arena...

This topic is 6549 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, Im the guy who announced that quake 3 got released, so its no surprise im saying this too so here we go. "X-BOX" the new "console" from Microsoft has entered the nextgen wars, turning heads in the game development conference. What started as "the rumour of Bill getting into the game business" and "Bill's Idea of making a console, making a home PC that only plays games" turn out to be a pretty remarkable piece of machinery. Running on a 600hz CPU with a 3d card capable of 300 million Polys per second, The X-BOX holds twice the power of PS2! The images in the conference proved exactly that (also with antialiasing!) by showing off what we only thought possible in the PS2 demos and surpassing them. Ok. so what's the big deal about this?, well the big deal is that the CPU inside this baby is an intel x86 chip, running directx 8 under a modified windows 2000 which means as far as I know that this thing may actually run POWER RENDER games. The X-Box consists of a highly modified next generation nvidia 3dcard (sorry 3dfx), 600mhz CPU, 64mb RAM, 8gb HD, and a pretty fast ethernet card for multiplayer gaming.The system is going to be valued around $300.00. (although price is not confirmed, yet) Is planned for release on fall 2001, which basically gives developers a chance to start working on their games and finish them just in the nick of time. Bill also said that they they werent going to be as strict as Nintendo or Sony on granting licenses for this system. So what does this mean? a) Well, backstabbing as it sounds it means a lot of developers may probably turn their backs on PS2 considering they require a $25,000 kit +license fees to get their hands on PS2 development, and a simple ordinary high-end PC for X-box. b. PC game programmers like you and me, may actually find a place in console programming, whish is a lot more profitable as a workfield (now, thats interesting!). c. The game you are making right now may be turned into a console X-BOX game -- you really have to wait a little to know how and how much...but there is a chance. This raises a lot of questions: *Will it work? *Will it sink under the shadow of PS2 and Dolphin? *Will kids see a GPF blue screen of death when they pop their favorite game? In some corner of Bill's mind when someone talks about cutting edge games he thinks about solitaire and mine sweeper? or are those days long gone? Is Bill Gates the new Miyamoto? or not? If you want to know more about this delicate matter you probably want to check this: www.microsoft.com (news) or basically any other site about pc gaming (is everywhere). Where do you want to code today? Edited by - Azrael on 3/14/00 3:58:28 PM

Advertisement
Well, until games come out for it, i trust that people will have some GeForce or Voodoo5 card on their PCs, so; there goes the X-Box nvidia...
ps: GeForce RULZ!

Not to mention about the processor....

What i''m trying to say is that a console will NEVER match a PC, unless it can be upgraded as a PC can... but then... we turn into a PC!!!

Also, consider that even if XBox can be easily upgraded, you''ll be able to plug-in only parts that MS provides... And when you''ll desire a Voodoo, MS will say... NO! NVidia... etc... SUX!

I think i''ll stick to my PC

PS: Don''t forget that as linux is supported by more companies all the time, and cross-platform facilities are beeing developed (alike DirectX, but with the compatibility of OpenGL), trust me; Linux will be the ULTIMATE choice for gamers, hence you won''t have Windows sucking your firepower!

And this time it drawing nearer... a lot more than many people think!

c ''ya around

PS: Can''t wait to see the FIRST BLUE screen in Consoles!!!! lol... i''ll drink to that

the X-Box may blow other consoles out of the water, but I can''t see any console killing PCs for gaming..
yes, there''s the upgradability issue..
but more importantly, in my opinion, is the games themselves. it''s not cheap to develop a game for a console. so maybe microsoft will make it not quite as ridiculously expenive. still, there''s one thing no console system has: us. independent game developers. i''ve never heard of a free game for a console. also, this makes for much more variety.. you''d be suprised what odd games you can find on the net..

just my opinion...

Well, yes. This also means in the future PC''s will have that kind of power too. (side note:WOOHOOO!)

But im not talking about US Im talking about THEM

You and me are PC users, but lets face it, console users beats us in numbers of 5 to 1 at least.

What about if you could show/sell the game you are working on to THEM ? think about it. thats what is interesting, dont miss the point.

Besides changing to this technology in a PC is going to cost 300- bucks? I dont think so.

p.s. I get kind of a fuzzy yet uncomfortable feeling on seing a GPF on a console screen.

Harvester said:

"What i''m trying to say is that a console will NEVER match a PC"

I disagree quite a lot on that. The playstation runs at 33 megahertz and could pump out some descent graphics such as those in FF7. When i bought FF7 for the PC it ran slow on a 233 pentium. My point is megahertz on a dedicated game console go a lot further than a windowed multitasking enviroment. Not to mention the next generation consoles will be 128 bits, while PC''s are still at there ugly 32 bit. And probably will stay at 32 bit for a few more years(at least the software will be emulated at 32 bits). Before i would agree with you, the PC rules, but these new consols have some top notch hardware.

ECKILLER

Ok. guys I brought the subject up to show the business capabilities that X-BOX may have for us Power Render developers.
But hey, if you want to start a "my bike is better than your bike" discussion, well... this is your forum too, so.. what the heck, come on, get it off your chest.
Anyway I think the original message was delivered, so my job is done, cya!

It is good that microsoft started making own console, this raises competition between other consolemakers.

I may buy that device when it arrives, it depends what kind of review it will get. Home pc is home pc and console is a console, I dont get why someones argue with this .

Cheers, mov.

>>What i''m trying to say is that a console will NEVER match a PC

A side note -- NVidia''s GeForce can push 15 million polies - and that doesn''t include lighting, texturing, filtering, and blending.

The XBox can push 300 million. That''s a 2000% increase (20x) in performance over the NV10 chip.

Yes, but when x-box will be released, what will that day end-user got on display adapter? http://www.bitboys.fi/ that kind of adapter will come this year...

But hey, microsoft just promises, when they have kept promises that work?

• Advertisement