DigiPen: Any older students attending?

Started by
8 comments, last by Hitch 21 years, 10 months ago
I’ve worked in the game industry for more than four years in a QA/designer/producer capacity and I program as a hobby (I’m not an accomplished enough programmer to do it professionally) and I just flat out love the gaming industry. I’m giving serious consideration to devoting my time to getting educated so that I can program games professionally. DigiPen is very attractive to me, obviously. The thing is, I’m not right out of high school and if I went, say, next year, I’d be (gasp!) in my 30s by the time I graduated. Now, I don’t imagine that the school itself would have an age limit and being among people younger than me is not a deterrent, but realistically, would that be that unusual? Are all the students there pretty much fresh out of high school? Are there any people in their late 20s, 30s, and/or above) in attendance?
Advertisement
Hopefully my Wife will be taking a job in king county and then I can attend DigiPen. But I am also in the situation of being 30+ when leaving school. Being out of school for ten years makes me worry..
I think that attending a high profile school like Digipen requires a lot of maturity and commitment (not to mention money), and some younger people "straight out of highschool" aren''t ready to make those kinds of commitments. I think you''d see quite a few people in their 20s that take their studies seriously (it''s quite a big decision in life to set aside X years and plunk down considerable moola for education). I am going to a gamedev school in Canada and will be 22 by the time classes start. I can sort of relate to what you''re talking about, but I don''t think it will be that big a deal. There will always be some spoiled 17 year olds whose parents sent them off to school, but I think those are exception rather than the norm?

I also think teachers welcome more mature students. With age comes maturity (usually), so if I were them I would rather having mature goal-oriented students than post-highschool goofs
foofightr: What school is it you''re going to? I live near Toronto, Ontario, and have a bit of a passing interest in seeing what''s available around here.
Even if there aren''t older people there, that''s no reason why you shouldn''t go. One time in college my physics lab partner was a lady who must have been over 60. Who cares if people stare at you, they''re just kids.
Mel, it''s a private college in Burnaby BC called CDIS ( www.artschool.com )
Hey there,

I'm attending Digipen right now so I could probably answer those questions you have...

Let's see, just so you know, I'm 19 and was fresh out of high school when I started there. Although, I'm one of the more mature "fresh out of high school" people there are plenty of "goofs" and people that just don't want to put the time and energy into learning.

About the age question, there are also quite a few people that are in their late 20's and early 30's. Last semester, in my game team alone, there were two 20's, one 23, one 18 (me), one between 22-24 (not really sure), and another one that was 30. So, just from those stats, it has a pretty good distribution. BTW, I was the Producer and I pushed those guys hard... really hard...

Now, there are still those 17 year olds that come and don't know jack and mess up everything, but that's fairly rare. Also, they'll probably drop out by 2nd semester anyway.

I'm learning, just like the best of us...

[edited by - Soulkeeper on June 4, 2002 10:49:55 PM]
I'm learning, just like the best of us...Ok, now assume a spherical cow... :)
Wow, you sound just like me...I''m 29 and getting ready to start at Fullsail. I was afraid i''d be the "old" guy too, but it doesn''t matter, I''m thinking about my future and not what anyone else thinks.
Well there is not much more that I can say after soul reeper ...

I did a summer games programming (intro) course at digipen last year, that was very cool, but obviously just a first taste. The guys we saw finishing off their projects behind close doors looked older than ''fresh out of high school'', but then - they had been there for four years or so already ...

If you have ever been for an open day - you have seen the stuff that comes out is wicked, and especially the visually appealing 3D.

It was that course though that allowed me to see I enjoyed the visual sides of gaming and design, rather than programming. And one word for the guys running the courses ... well they ''rocked'' .. in short.

Only thing was, at the time I checked, it was still not possible for students from outside the US to enter (even though they started in Vancouver, Canada).

Anyway - thought I just mention it ...

|G
Hey Kalkalith,

My name is Soulkeeper, not Soul reeper... just so you know.

According to the website all you need is to be a resident and have a visa at least. I''m not too sure about the out of US admissions policy as it stands right now though. Though, I think it might be possible.

I''m learning, just like the best of us...
I'm learning, just like the best of us...Ok, now assume a spherical cow... :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement