Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with graphics engine

This topic is 5676 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there, Sir Bob wrote a graphics engine that just simply moves some bitmaps around on the screen. It also displays the fps. What we don''t understand is that on my Pentium 4 1.7GHz 256 RAM running Windows XP the max fps i can get is 37, but on my very low end computer running Windows 98, I can get up to 80 fps. Also, we are using Direct x 8.1 for both computers. Could the problem be in the XP version of direct x? I have all the latest drivers for direct x and my 64 MB GeForce3 video card. With vsync and all the framerate controls disabled, the program easily exceeds 120 fps on a PII350 with no video RAM - provided that machine is running Win98. On machines running WinXP, it still tops out at 30-40 fps, regardless of the specs of said machines. Anybody have any suggestions?? He who laughs, lasts

How are you drawing your bitmaps? If you''re locking video memory, your performance will probably be destroyed on GeForces but won''t suffer that much on computers with no video memory.