Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loading Images

This topic is 5673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. What do you guys use to load images for use in textures? First what image types do you use the most. Do you write your own loading functions, or use one in a libary? Which functions are availible for that? NeHe uses the glaux libary, but i heard you shouldn''t use it? Why? Does the glu libary have bitmap or other type loading functions? Sorry for all the questions there! Thx, -J

quote:
Original post by Jason2Jason
Hi all. What do you guys use to load images for use in textures? First what image types do you use the most. Do you write your own loading functions, or use one in a libary? Which functions are availible for that? NeHe uses the glaux libary, but i heard you shouldn''t use it? Why? Does the glu libary have bitmap or other type loading functions?

There are many libraries online for loading images, and it isn''t that difficult to write a loader for a specific format, knowing its specifications (see ''Formats'' link in .sig).

glaux is only there for backward compatibility (it is deprecated), which is why you shouldn''t rely on it : it might go away at any time. And, unlike online libraries that explicitely allow you to do so, I am not sure about the licensing and redistribution rights to glaux.

If worst comes to worst, the ppm, pgm, pbm formats are almost trivial to read/write, and are supported by a number of imaging tools (e.g. gimp, psp ...)

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

Have a look @ DevIL (former OpenIL)

it is REALLY easy (even i managed to get it running )

http://openil.sourceforge.net/

--
"Input... need input!" - Johnny Five, Short Circuit.