Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

in YOUR opinion what should a 3d engine have? essentials....

This topic is 5665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok so what do u all think a bare minimum 3d engine should have, and be able to do. you guys can throw in a few extras too. im a beginner. and i plan on writing my own 3d engine someday... so what d u guys think?

Hello,
One of importantthing in a simple engine is Skinned mesh !
Loading 3d models - light and ....
So, first step is writing 3d engine !
Then u can add keyboard and mouse controls to ur engine !
And making commnication between all of parts in ur ENGINE !!!

have fun !

In my opinion :

Being able to load and show objects is mandatory

Other important things :
Make the object moves
Lights
Camera movement
Texturing
Space partitioning
Collision detection
User interface/interaction

Some cool features but not esssentials are :
Fog
Skyboxes
Inverse Kinematics
Particles systems

And the most important rule :
Reusable code!

Michel Racicot

I would say try to make an engine that does one thing really really well. This focusses you on one problem, and get''s you into the whole 3d programming area. After that you''ll have less trouble implementing new stuff, as you''ve gained more experience.

Cheers,
Nick

quote:
Original post by JesterX
And the most important rule :
Reusable code!

Ain't that the truth. I bought "Design patterns: blah blah blah",
just for that, if only someone could explain it to me lmao. It's meant to be studied for years, not read in a month. My new bible.

-------------------------------------------------------
"Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers." - Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist
"There is no afterlife for a place that started as heaven." - Charles M. Russell
"I'm not always right, but isn't it weird how i'm always right."

[edited by - kingpin on June 6, 2002 2:03:27 AM]

in the most general sense, an engine for graphics should be able to load the game world (level, models etc.) and then efficiently determine the minimum (or close to) that needs to be drawn each frame, then draw that minimum in an efficient way.
If you can do this then you''re on the right track. then worry about special effects etc.
if you can''t render your world at at least 60fps without collision detection, animation etc. then you''re already stuck, since your geme, once having all the extra needed stuff (physics, ai, effects) will most likely crawl along.
just my 2 cents.
Toby

Gobsmacked - by Toby Murray

Off the top of my head:

Reproducible behaviour is a handy feature - lets you have demos, replays, etc. There was an interesting article on Gamasutra a while back dealing with this.

Other than that, a decent save game system might be handy. A console (ala Quake) is always useful for modifying things at runtime. A scripting language of some kind could be useful. Skeletal animation and animation blending are handy features from a design point of view.

On the external side, a decent toolset (level and content editors) is always important.

A decent 3D engine needs to fufill the needs of the application in which its being used for. Randomly adding features just to bump up the engine spec isn''t exactly helpful in many cases. Aim for what you must have, and be sure to keep things flexible to add things on later if the need springs up.

quote:
Original post by alfmga
OY.......how do u make models that cast shadows on them selves? just wondering...

partition the model or use a shadow algorithm which can self shadow such as shadow Z buffers, stencil shadow volumes etc.