• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

compfanatic

How to learn:

This topic is 6733 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Books are good, but sometimes it is hard to stay motivated. I think the best way to learn is by practicing, coding a lot. If you take a class in c++, you will be forced to complete assignments and it will help you a lot to learn basic c++. After you know the basics, I have learned a lot by books and programming demo''s and examples.

Mike Barela
mbarela@earthlink.net

Everyone''s different. Experiment and find what works for you.

I''m self-taught in C/C++,Java,VB, Perl, and other things. Learned it all through books and online over the last 3 years. It was real slow in the beginning, but eventually things started clicking. I tend to learn faster on my own, anyway.

Some people do better in a classroom environment, though. And I did find while helping a friend of mine with her homework that the exercises they give you teach you things you just don''t think of doing by yourself. I really enjoyed working through some of them.

Again, experiment and find what works best for you.

When I was learning c++, I went to a college''s web page, and completed all the programming assignments that were online. I learned incredible amounts doing that.

Mike

Hi,

I think you will learn programming automatically if you have the motivation to learn. Thus, not just wanting to learn programming just to earn money or because it''s cool.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!