Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Video Codec to Use for Games

This topic is 5669 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am designing movie sequences for a game. I am trying to find an optimal codec so the movie is clear and plays well from the hard drive. I want to use a codec supported by DirectX (so Divx is not an option I don''t think). I have been using Microsoft MPEG4 V1 and it compresses fine and the file size is small. However, upon closer inspection there are visible blocks that can be seen resulting from the compression. I''ve also tried Cinepak and Radius codecs. This quality does not look as good as say, Red Alert''s movies. What codec did they use to achieve such clarity? I want the movies I make to be as clear as the ones that can be seen in professional games. Thanx. http://www.bluedojo.com Blue Dojo Studios

Bink from RAD Game Tools (www.radgametools.com) is very popular for PC games. It has a very simple to use API and produces good quality results.

MPEG4 is a good choice if you want to use DirectShow. You can use DivX with DirectShow as long as you have a Windows Media Player compatible codec installed (where DShow''s codecs come from).

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

quote:
Original post by S1CA

MPEG4 is a good choice if you want to use DirectShow. You can use DivX with DirectShow as long as you have a Windows Media Player compatible codec installed (where DShow's codecs come from).

----------------------------------------------
Thanks for your input. I'd like to use the codec that DirectX provides with DirectShow if possible. I found this in their documentation. Which one of these are suitable for high quality game movies? Thank you in advanced!

Supported Formats in DirectShow (8.0)

Microsoft Windows Media Video codec version 7.0*
ISO MPEG-4 video version 1.0*
Microsoft MPEG-4 version 3*
Sipro Labs ACELP*
Windows Media Audio*
MPEG Audio Layer-3 (MP3) (decompression only)
Digital Video (DV)
MPEG-1
MJPEG
Indeo
Voxware*
Cinepak

Microsoft does not provide an MPEG-2 decoder. Several DirectShow-compatible hardware and software MPEG-2 decoders are available from third parties.

For information on the availability of particular third-party codecs for redistribution with DirectShow applications, contact the codec manufacturer.

http://www.bluedojo.com
Blue Dojo Studios

[edited by - jimgolian on June 5, 2002 11:46:31 AM]

[edited by - jimgolian on June 5, 2002 11:48:20 AM]

From that list:

Microsoft Windows Media Video

or

Microsoft MPEG-4 version 3

All are high quality codecs with different strengths and weaknesses (i.e. some are better for "live action" video, others are better for pre-rendered stuff, some use less CPU time, some compress better, etc).

For most formats you can tweak the level of compression and trade a bigger file size and more CPU usage for better quality (i.e. less blocks).

The reason I chose the above two, particularly the first is that as long as the encoded movies and player are only used under Windows on a PC, AFAIK you don''t have to pay a license fee or royalty to use the codec legally. For the others (AFAIK) you do.

Also some of the formats in that list are audio only formats.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com