Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A newbie with COM arrays

This topic is 5669 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need pass an array of data in a variant to an API call. I''m not sure if I''m passing the data correctly as I''m new to COM. In vbscript form, the call is like Blah( array(6,7,8) ); In C++ form // generate 3 element array of floats SAFEARRAY *psa = SafeArrayCreateVector( VT_R4, 0, 3 ); float HUGEP *dp = 0; SafeArrayAccessData( psa, (void HUGEP**)&dp ); dp[0] = 6; dp[1] = 7; dp[2] = 8; // set array to 6,7,8 SafeArrayUnaccessData( psa ); VARIANT va; va.vt = VT_ARRAY | VT_R4; va.parray = psa; // pass va to API that takes a variant Blah( va ); SafeArrayDestroy( psa ); I appreciate if someone could verify the C++ snippet is corrrect. For the C++ snippet, Blah runs successfully but produces wrong results. So is this the way to use COM arrays?

Working with safe-arrays was a big pita, so much so I dropped them and passed a pointer and a size (I wasn''t going for VB interop though)

I think the ATL has a safearray class, I''d suggest using that if it does exist. (There''s a variant_t class as well.)

If I had a choice, I drop variants totally. But I can''t. The Blah function is an API call that must take a variant to an array of data.

Blah( VARIANT inarray );

I suspect it''s a bug with the API but with my inexperience with COM, I wouldn''t want to make hasty condemnations.