Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my rectangle collision code

This topic is 5671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I had some trouble finding code and articles on checking rectangle collisions, I spent alot of time looking for the best way to do it and I''ve made a simple function to check if two RECTs are overlapping. If anybody doesn''t know how or wants simply wants a function that does it that they can just put in their code you can use this. It returns 1 if they''re overlapping and 0 if they''re not.

int Colision_Rects(RECT r1,RECT r2);

int Colision_Rects(RECT r1,RECT r2)
{		// this takes 2 rects and returns 1 if they''re touching 0 if they''re not

// bottom left corner

if (((r1.bottom < r2.bottom)&&(r1.left > r2.left))&&((r1.bottom>r2.top)&&(r1.left<r2.right)))
	{
	return 1;
	}

// top left corner

if (((r1.top > r2.top)&&(r1.left > r2.left))&&((r1.top < r2.bottom)&&(r1.left<r2.right)))
	{
		return 1;
	}

// bottom right corner

if (((r1.bottom < r2.bottom)&&(r1.right < r2.right))&&((r1.bottom > r2.top)&&(r1.right>r2.left)))
	{
		return 1;
	}
	//top right corner

if (((r1.top > r2.top)&&(r1.right < r2.right))&&((r1.top < r2.bottom)&&(r1.right>r2.left)))
	{
		return 1;
	}

////////////////////////////////////

// we have to do it for #2 now

// bottom left corner

if (((r2.bottom < r1.bottom)&&(r2.left > r1.left))&&((r2.bottom>r1.top)&&(r2.left<r1.right)))
	{
	return 1;
	}

// top left corner

if (((r2.top > r1.top)&&(r2.left > r1.left))&&((r2.top < r1.bottom)&&(r2.left<r1.right)))
	{
		return 1;
	}

// bottom right corner

if (((r2.bottom < r1.bottom)&&(r2.right < r1.right))&&((r2.bottom > r1.top)&&(r2.right>r1.left)))
	{
		return 1;
	}
	//top right corner

if (((r2.top > r1.top)&&(r2.right < r1.right))&&((r2.top < r1.bottom)&&(r2.right>r1.left)))
	{
		return 1;
	}

// if no verticies inside

if ((r2.top > r1.top)&&(r2.bottom < r1.bottom)&&(r2.left < r1.left)&&(r2.right>r1.right))
	{
		return 1;
	}

if ((r1.top > r2.top)&&(r1.bottom < r2.bottom)&&(r1.left < r2.left)&&(r1.right>r2.right))
	{
		return 1;
	}
	return 0;
}

thats good, but there is a much simpler way of doing it. there are more ways the boxs can overlap then they cannot, so why don''t you instead test if they don''t collide. here is the code i use. it returns 0 if the boxs don''t collide, otherwise it returns 1. also you wouldnt need to use classes if you don''t want to, just organizes it more.

class bbox
{
public:
int top,bottom,left,right;
};

int BBCD(bbox b1, bbox b2)
{

if(b1.left > b2.right) return 0;
if(b1.right < b2.left) return 0;
if(b1.top > b2.bottom) return 0;
if(b1.bottom < b2.top) return 0;

return 1;
}

Guest Anonymous Poster
m00se123: you can''t return after just one test, you''d need to do all those tests, but as a nested-if, if they do collide you could then go to code to do pixel perfect collision if you wanna

Guest Anonymous Poster
and the top and bottom tests depend on coordinate system