trouble with highlighting multiple squares on virtual board

Started by
6 comments, last by RolandofGilead 21 years, 10 months ago
descriptive title, eh? I''m just getting so tired of trying to make this stupid function work that I would love to try a whole new approach and would welcome input on a method.
Advertisement
Duuuuh, I really think you have to post more info. At least I don''t understand what you mean by a virtual board and that sort of stuff.
you''ve heard of chess or checkers? well, they''re played on a board that has squares, but I''m making a computer game so the board is virtual-exists in cyberspace, in the electrons and transistors of my computer
Ahhh I see, a _chess_ board (why didn''t you mention that right away in you first post?? ;-)). But still, what''s the exact problem? Could you post some code you already have, and tell where things are messed up or something?
I knew someone would ask for code.
Read the original post.
If you really want to see some code, I put the problem in the General Programming and have since solved it. I don''t believe I''m cross posting because this post wasn''t about solving my particular problem and was just an exercise in trying to expand my knowledge and receiving a reminder of the old lesson that there''s usually more than one way to do things and that those solutions are usually better than what hack I came up with.

Well, I did learn something, there is apparently another definition of ''board'' when used in the context of games, I don''t know what it is, but at least I know it''s out there somewhere.

You''re right though, forgetting what I know of my own project, I have not given sufficient detail. For one, I say ''highlighting'', actually, the highlighting is a graphics concern and it works perfectly, I shoulda said ''selecting''. I think it''s 50/50 to say whether the ''multiple squares'' is enough.

---------------------------
I have a new sig
---------------------------
Conservative/Republican: Display the guns proudly, hide the erotica for fear of scandal.

Liberal/Democrat: Display the erotica, hide the gun for fear of scandal.

Vote Libertarian.
4 replies later and I still don''t see the point in this thread..
deinations of board:
quote:

board
n 1: a committee having supervisory powers; "the board has seven
members"
2: a flat piece of material designed for a special purpose; "he
nailed boards across the windows"
3: a stout length of sawn timber; made in a wide variety of
sizes and used for many purposes [syn: plank]
4: a board on which information can be displayed to public view
[syn: display panel, display board]
5: a flat portable surface (usually rectangular) designed for
board games; "he got out the board and set up the pieces"
[syn: gameboard]
6: food or meals in general; "she sets a fine table"; "room and
board" [syn: table]
7: electrical device consisting of an insulated panel
containing switches and dials and meters for controlling
other electrical devices; "he checked the instrument
panel"; "suddenly the board lit up like a Christmas tree"
[syn: control panel, instrument panel, control board,
panel]
8: a printed circuit that can be inserted into expansion slots
in a computer to increase the computer''s capabilities
[syn: circuit board, circuit card, card]
9: a table at which meals are served; "he helped her clear the
dining table"; "a feast was spread upon the board" [syn: dining
table]

some ppl also use it to refer to a level in a game. ie i made it to the 5th board. you could just use level. this is why its very good to use adjectives to describe the board you are talking about when talking on this board or any board for that matter.
a person, congratulations on being able to copy and paste, he said
quote:Original post by RolandofGilead
...there is apparently another definition of ''board'' when used in the context of games...

munkie:
This is why I hardly ever read anything except the Game Design forum. When there is a right answer, you look it up, when there''s more than one way to do things, wouldn''t it be a nice idea to discuss various methods of achieving the goal. Perhaps this could use a restatement(that means say it again), of what I believe to be the point of this thread. RolandofGilead, plz correct if wrong,

You have a board, similar to a chess board, to make it more intesresting we''ll say that the shape of the places on the board can be whatever shape you want, diamond, square, hexagons, etc.
You need to be able to select various portions of the board, rather than only one place on the board being selectable at one time.
How would you go about it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement