Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Depth-correct particles?

This topic is 5673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve created a simple particle engine using additive colors. The problem is, if you disable GL_DEPTH_TEST, particles are shown in front of ,say, all the obstacles or aren''t seen at all because any polygon simply overwrites it. If I enable it, I get freaky results(using simple shading circle texture, Z-buffer uses the whole quad). Does anybody know a solution to this problem, so that I could have an emmiter in the level and it was hiden/shown properly? Another question: Is there a fast way to make a real-color particles, not additive ones, which don''t allow you to render red particles against white polygons. I have read about masking on NeHe, but it requires 2 texture switches per particle.

Leave Depth test on and use-

When done drawing particals
glDepthMask(GL_TRUE);

Before Drawing particals
glDepthMask(GL_FALSE);

[edited by - Xero-X2 on June 5, 2002 2:38:03 AM]

Don't disable depth testing, do this:
glDepthMask(GL_FALSE);
//draw particle
glDepthMask(GL_TRUE);
EDIT: Ah, you were too fast for me Xero-X2

------------
aud.vze.com - The Audacious Engine <-- Newbie alert, look at your own risk. Can induce severe laughing fits and other variations of hysterical outburst.

[edited by - LockePick on June 5, 2002 2:39:08 AM]

To answer the second part of your question, if you want to do non-blended particles, use Alpha Testing. To use this, your particle texture will need to have an alpha channel (which you effectively use as a mask).

If you have a texture where transparent parts have 0 alpha, you would use the alpha function:
glAlphaFunc(GL_GREATER, 0.0);
(or sumfin like that... too early in the morning here to be sure )

Then, before you draw your particles, call:
glDepthMask(GL_FALSE);
glEnable(GL_ALPHA_TEST);

and once you have finished:
glDepthMask(GL_TRUE);
glDisable(GL_ALPHA_TEST);