Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C++ DLL question

This topic is 5674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I''ve a question. I know VB is not the best language to make games with. But what about writing DLL''s in C++ to do the heavy stuff and then glue the game together in VB using these in c++ written dll''s? Would that increase the performance of the VB game?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Many people say the same thing about Java but I have read benchmarks on JIT java that is almost as quick as C++. I suspect the same thing for VB. However, I would say that there is really NO way for you to optimize VB or JAVA to the extent that C++ or C can.

That asside - what you are saying is basically the same thing as the Unreal engine or just about any other scripted engine. The meat is handled in custom/profiled code and the "glue" is handled in script. Check out the Unreal site and read about the recommendations and specs. You could really do the same thing using java, VB, Lua, lisp, prolog (ugh - that would be ugly.. except for AI - hmm.. ).

Yes, linking to C++ DLLs from inside VB works to overcome most VB limitations in performance as well as low-level access. I tried it out myself. Plan your app very carefully though, since you will most likely have difficuilty in sharing/passing data between VB and the C++ DLL. I had to give up the idea because of this and I''m writing my project completely in C++ now, but if your app is well structured and you don''t have to pass huge amounts of data around, you should be successfull.