Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what the general way of doing animation in games through biped

This topic is 5671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi there ! i am trying some animations which can be applied to different characters thro'' biped. since characters are many (nos 10), i am creating the bip file animation of 1st character and then applying it to other characters. Now since the character are of different hieght proportion i am not able to fix them at proper place as when bip file is applied 2nd character it does not remain at the same place but moves is orientation and i am not able to figure out why ? which in turn gives problem while exporting to game engine. so can u please explain me the general step followed in games if same type of animation is applied to othere character. thanx chrissy

I would suggest you to check the following URL:
http://tsugumo.swoo.net/tutorial/
The tutorial series will give you some information on animation.

There are two kinds of approach:
- you store for each bitmap its size (widt and height). Example: you have three characters with their own size, you store three bitmap description giving the sprite size and the animation length.
- all your bitmaps are of the same size. Example: you have three characters which bitmaps are drawn in a 32x32 pixel rectangle. However, the fact that all bitmaps have the same size does not mean that the sprite drawn inside fills in the rectangle surface. Example: in a 32x32 bitmap, you can draw a 16x24 sprite, or a 32x32 sprite or a 16x16 sprite.

Developpers often prefer the second approach (non exhaustive list):
- the rectangle can be set to a power of two giving the possibility to optimize the drawing function
- you do not have to keep track of weird character dimensions to compute where the character feet are on the world area.

Hope that helps.
Ghostly yours,
Red.

I don''t know if I don''t understand you question, or if Red Ghost doesn''t, but are you looking for a way to use a single animation on several boned models? If so, what file formats are you using for your animations and models?

hey that was very nice of u''ll "Red Ghost and Supermike"

Actually we r doing a 3d game using max and character studio in which we r using our in house exporter, which export the mesh data separately and animation key data separtely.

the problem occurs when we r applying same animation from one biped to another.

chrissy

quote:
Original post by kishchris
the problem occurs when we r applying same animation from one biped to another.

You mean to say, you''re attempting to use key-frame animation data from one model on another one? Unless the models are virtually identical, that won''t ever work.

Interpolated Key-Frame Animation
or
Inverse Kinemetics

Although IK seems like a more powerful technique, thus far all attempts at using it have resulted in wasted effort at best, to inferior results compared to key-frames.

I think there''s potential in IK, but it''s as of yet undeveloped.

With key-frames, you need key-frame data for each different action for each different model.

I''m using biped for animation, and i''m using same skeleton (biped) for all the meshes. The way i do is save each animation created on the biped skeleton into .bip files. But if try to load one of the previously saved .bip file and apply it to the same (original) skeleton, the position of the skeleton changes and takes a random places. What could be reason behind this translations happening while reapplying the .bip files?

I would also like to know what is the general procedure followed by all of you to create animations for more than one mesh (same animations though), using Character Studio biped? Do we really have to recreate all the animations from scratch for each mesh we create?

thanx in advance.