Completly New

Started by
9 comments, last by Broken Stasis 21 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by jnew
is C++ for dummies 4th edition good for beginners?

because it says you dont need to know any prior programming, but it talks about some strange stuff later on, and im having a little trouble now with it. That books only about 400 pages too. Is sams teach your self visual c++ in 21 days better?

The C++ For Dummies book that I have and learned from was fine for me for a long time. It''ll work well if you''re a beginner. Also, dont ever try to measure the quality of a book by the number of pages it has, number of pages means nothing - the quality is in how concepts are presented and if you actually learn. My C++ For Dummies book, being only a pocket reference was less than 300 pages but it taught me a lot.

quote:Original post by Arkainium
Aside from that, I really hate the Dummies line of books because they often go extremeley slow and don''t cover as much as other books. Well, that''s my opinion I guess.

I agree that the Dummies books dont always go into as much as the other books but I enjoy them because I like how they present their material. My Dummies book barely even touched on operator overloading and mentioned nothing about linked lists and templates (maybe because it was a pocket reference.... ) which is why I also have other books on C++, like Sam''s Teach Yourself C++ in 10 Minutes (to take a book that is comparable in purpose).

Out of both books though, I think the Dummies one explained Exceptions better and had the concepts organized in a better way (the Dummies book had classes near the near and pointers/arrays before them, Sam''s had classes at the beginner and pointers/arrays near the end as one example).

To reiterate, page count shouldn''t make much a factor in what you call a ''good'' book, having more than one book is good.

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader''s Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement