Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graphics API for simple GUI

This topic is 5668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Which API should I use for simple graphics programming? In the past I have done mode 13h stuff and some GDI, and OpenGL and DirectX seem a little overkill for simpler GUI''s. Is there something in the middle (SDL?)? I only need to do 2D and nothing complex. Just display some data visually (tables, graphs), and some simple board game type graphics (chess/checkers board, tic-tac-toe board, etc.) Any recommendations are appeciated. Russell

Can I use SDL from a console application when using MSVC++? Or do I have to still deal with the windows application, message processing, and all of that stuff? I''d rather avoid all of that if possible.

Russell

The examples that I looked at on http://cone3d.gamedev.net/ use a simple main() function, along with printf(). Are you sure you can''t use SDL from a console app? Or perhaps the author of those tutorials used a console style app for simplicity''s sake to make it more clear and easier to understand?

Russell

You use SDL from a Windows Application, but with a main function. The main function is the standard entry point, and SDL aims for portability so it uses the standard entry point. SDL uses a work around for dealing with the WinMain entry point to allow you to use main. Make sure you main is done like this though: int main(int argv, char *argv[]). If you leave out the optional parameters it leads to an unresolved external problem.