Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for all programmers...

This topic is 5671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been programming for a while now, but I have one question for all professional programmers out there. Do you guys actually memorize all those different API''s, or all the steps to initialize DirectX? Or do you use a reference book or something? Because when I think of it, I don''t even know if I can memorize all those APIs and functions when I go to university. :S Thanks, Voytek

wasn't there an identicle thread on this 2-3 days ago? whatever...

in general i reference things. after referencing something 2-3 times i automatically have it memorized assuming i continue to use it fairly frequently. pretty much jsut continue to write code and you'll end up with the more API functions memorized.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on June 5, 2002 7:31:25 PM]

Yep, I never go anywhere without my copy of MSDN...

You''ll find that if you repeatly use particular functions, you''ll learn them. For example, the Win32 Message loop functions - which appear in every windows program - usually just get ''picked up.''

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

quote:
Original post by Palidine
wasn''t there an identicle thread on this 2-3 days ago? whatever...

There''s one of these about every 2-3 days

But to answer the question: no. Never underestimate the power of reference tools and your own ability to absorb knowledge through repeated use.

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader''s Realm

I''ve memorized all of the Windows API, DirectX and OpenGL along with all the data structures used. That makes a nice complement for my memorization of all opcodes and addressing formats for all processors ever made. That was of course easy after memorizing every word in every language spoken by anyone alive now or ever on any planet in the universe Sorry, couldn''t resist. You learn what to do and then look up how to do it.

For code completion check this:

http://www.wholetomato.com/

It also has a lot of other useful features such as formatting, auto correction, etc...

I wasted a lot of time trying to memorize the steps necessary to set up a window, instead of doing any "real" coding, and I wish I''d done it the other way around.

One thing I find really helpful so that you don''t have to memorize, at least with VC++ 6 is the fact that it will help you "fill in" the function. You don''t have to memorize it that way, just how to use it

Phew! Thanks for the warning, I was going to do that!!!

What about memorizing how to initialize DX, is that really important? Or is it better to just learn how to use the actual thing without memorizing all the functions to start it?
Thanks,
Voytek

Like LilBudyWizer said, it''s better to memorize what needs to be done, rather than memorize a bunch of functions and APIs but have no real idea how they interact. Everyone uses a reference at one point or another.

Personally, I have the basic things that are used all the time memorized. Memory allocation, string comparisons, pointers, input/output, file handling, etc. Specific things like setting up a secondary DSound buffer or initializing OGL texture map coordinates I reference. It''s not worth my precious memory to memorize something I use only a few times in an entire project.

Memorize the ctrl-space key and the f1 key and you''re in business... As has been said, it''s much more important to learn the big picture before trying to memorize a single function. Figure out what API is responsible for doing what.

Then when you need to do something you''ll have a good idea of where to look in MSDN and be able to narrow your search down to a single API. After that, you''ll start to figure out how different APIs ''look'' so you''ll start searching for function names for what you want to do instead of an API. While you''re getting to that point, you''ll pick up a good amount of functions that you''ll just remember without specifically going out and trying to memorize them.

Just try to not forget simple functions. I don't think for_each(first_use_of_strcpy, last_use_of_strcpy, press_F1) is a good idea. Memorizing functions such as strlen() or ShowWindow() shouldn't be any problem. (I think memorizing is not the word, it should be recalling)

[edited by - DerekSaw on June 7, 2002 2:00:16 AM]

HELL NO !
I learn the use of all the functions through MSDN + DirectX SDK and get an overall summary of the all the functions. I then whip out the OOP designer. And design me Object Orietented system which intilizes it nicely so I don''t have to remember it. If new updates come out || I need a faster way of doing it or sumthing. I inherit from the class and override the function in use. Nice & Simple hey

But for my games I don''t one massive OOP system linking with it and general making the game bigger & slower so what I have done is made a program which uses fstream. It asks a few questions and streams the initlization code you need to the cpp + h files in your project. If you want it you could check out planet-source-code.com

hope this helped WizHarD

PS there is really no point learning that stuff , as you''ll only use it once in every project. Just make sure you understand what your doing