Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Multi Purpose Reusable Game Engine

This topic is 5674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am planning an engine that can be reused and used to create various types of games. I plan to use DirectX8 for a lot of the stuff, even though i dont know much directx8, but thats what makes it more exciting right?. Anayway i never finished a tetris game because of time etc. but now ive got 3 months summer holidays plus an extra year at college for this project to develop. I was wanting to start small however, by doing tetris finshing it, then breakout, then a platform game, then a small tile based rpg then convert tetris, break out to 3d then make a small first person shooter. The last one will be used for my college project (as well as the engine design). However i dont know if it is possible to create an engine that can be easily used to create all these types of games. I will also create tools to aid level designing, scripting language etc, ive got the time. just all i need to know is can the one engine be used for all these games or will i have to modify it alot to create each game (obviously not for tetris/breakout). any replys appreciated

probably you''re better off making a different engine for each of those first projects b/c you''ll learn more about software design as you go along. you''ll probably want to scrap large parts of your first engines as you progress in knowledge. rewriting the engine each time will allow you to develop better architectural styles.

obviously you can copy/paste large sections of code across projects.

-me

Well basically yes. But if your engine has all this 3d stuff and your making 2d tetris well obviously very little of the engine is utilized. But in reality if your engine is robust enough it can do all these games w.o having to add a load of new stuff for each game.